Pinned with hard homework problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the solution to the Liouville equation for a noninteracting gas of N particles in a cubic box with periodic boundary conditions. The Hamiltonian is independent of position and the probability density at time t=0 is given. The formal solution to the Liouville equation is of the form e^{-Lt}\rho\left ( \mathbf{p} ,\mathbf{q}\right,0 ) and the boundary conditions can be easily accounted for. The problem can be simplified by considering only one particle and the given integral does not seem to be necessary for solving the problem.
lamq_31

Homework Statement

I am having problems with the following problem: "For a noninteracting gas of N particles in a cubic box of volume [itex]V = L^3 [/itex] where L is the length of the side of the box, find the solution, [itex]\rho (\mathbf{p}^{3N},\mathbf{q}^{3N},t) [/itex], of the Liouville equation at time t, where [itex] \mathbf{p}^{3N} = \left ( \mathbf{p_{1},...,\mathbf{p_N}} \right ) [/itex] and [itex] \mathbf{q}^{3N} = \left ( \mathbf{q_{1},...,\mathbf{q_N}} \right ) [/itex]. Assume periodic bondary conditions, and that the probability density at time t=0 is given by:

Homework Equations

[tex] \rho \left ( \mathbf{p}^{3N},\mathbf{q}^{3N},t \right ) = \left ( \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2L} \right )^{3N}\prod_{i=1}^{3N}e^{-p_{i}^{2}/2m}sin\left ( \pi q_{i}/L \right ) [/tex]
with
[itex] 0\leq q_{i}\leq L [/itex]

The following equation may be helpful:
[itex] \int _{0}^{L}dx \sin \left ( \pi q/L \right )\ln \left [ \sin\left ( \pi q/L \right ) \right ] = \frac{L}{\pi}\left ( 2 - \ln 2\right ) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I started from the Liouville equation:
[itex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\sum _{i}^{3N}\left [ \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial q}\frac{\partial H}{\partial p} + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial p}\frac{\partial H}{\partial q}\right ] [/itex]
Since the gas is noninteracting, I can assume that the Hamiltonian is:
[itex]H = \sum _{i}^{3N}\frac{p_{i}^2}{2m} [/itex]
So, I arrive to the equation:
[itex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\sum _{i}^{3N}\frac{p_{i}}{m}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial q} [/itex]
I have read in a few sources that the formal solution to the Liouville equation is of the form:

[itex] \rho\left ( \mathbf{p},\mathbf{q},t \right ) = e^{-Lt}\rho\left ( \mathbf{p} ,\mathbf{q}\right,0 ) [/itex]

And, in this case:
[itex] L =\sum _{i}^{3N}\frac{p_{i}}{m}\frac{\partial }{\partial q} [/itex]
However , at this point I don't know how to proceed because I don't know how explicitly include boundary conditions. (Actually I am chemist and I am not used to solving partial differential equations).
Thank you very much for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello lamq_31!

I think this problem may be easier than it at first appears - here's a few comments:

I think the boundary value business is probably trivial - you just have to imagine filling up all of space with little cubes of side L, all of which have the same initial probability density as your original cube. Because the Hamiltonian is independent of position, the probability density will continue to be periodic in q at any future time.

Next comment is that all the particles are doing exactly the same thing, so you can just think about what one particle is doing. That reduces your degrees of freedom from 3N to 3!

So then you write down your Liouville equation for one particle (for what it's worth there should be a - sign in the middle of that equation). That should tell you what you expected anyway - that the probability fluid in phase space just drifts along in q-space with speed determined by its momentum.

What I don't understand is why they've given you that integral - it's an integral for the entropy of the system (which stays constant). I don't think it's needed to solve the problem at hand.

:confused:

Related to Pinned with hard homework problem

What does "pinned with hard homework problem" mean?

"Pinned with hard homework problem" means that the specific homework problem has been designated as a "challenge" or more difficult than the other problems in the assignment. It may require more time, effort, and critical thinking to solve.

Why do teachers or professors include "pinned with hard homework problem" in assignments?

Teachers or professors may include "pinned with hard homework problem" in assignments to challenge students and push them to think critically and problem solve. It also allows for differentiation in the assignment, providing an opportunity for students who may excel in the subject to further demonstrate their skills.

What should I do if I am struggling with a "pinned with hard homework problem"?

If you are struggling with a "pinned with hard homework problem", it is important to seek help from your teacher or professor, classmates, or a tutor. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and approaching it step by step. It is important to not get discouraged and to keep trying.

How can I prepare for "pinned with hard homework problem" in advance?

To prepare for "pinned with hard homework problem", you can practice similar problems or concepts beforehand. You can also review notes, textbook materials, and class discussions to refresh your understanding of the subject. Additionally, developing critical thinking skills and a growth mindset can help you approach difficult problems with confidence and determination.

Is it okay to ask for help with "pinned with hard homework problem"?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help with "pinned with hard homework problem". In fact, seeking help and collaborating with others can often lead to a better understanding of the problem and potential solutions. It is important to not be afraid to ask for help and to approach the problem with a growth mindset.