Durian: The King of Fruits - Is it Fatal with Beer?

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, Durian is widely regarded as the king of fruits in some parts of the world, but not everyone enjoys its unique taste. There is a belief that consuming durian with alcohol, specifically whiskey, can be fatal due to a supposed fermentation process that causes an explosion in the bowels. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim and it is likely just an urban legend. The pungent odor of durian and its interactions with alcohol have also been questioned, but it is unlikely that they pose a serious health risk. In the end, it seems that the belief of durian and whiskey being a lethal combination is just a myth and should not be taken seriously.
recon
In my part of the world, durian is regarded as the king of fruits. I myself don't like it personally, but I was just wondering if anyone here knows why (EDIT: and how) durian eaten with a drink of beer may be fatal. Apparently, it causes some kind of an explosion in your bowels. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but until I do, I best eschew from carrying out any personal experiments. Anyone here care to give it a go? :wink:

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
From this site
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~tonym/durian.html

I have been told by a number of people that beer can be fatal, if drunk within a few hours of eating durian. This is apparently on account of some fermentation process, which causes your bowels to explode. However, based on my own experiments, this rumor appears to be totally untrue. WARNING : Not everyone has the same metabolism, so I take no responsibility if you try it and achieve a different result.

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/news.shtml
Durian + Whiskey = Death? - June 14, 2001

There is a widely held belief in Thailand that eating durian and drinking whiskey can cause death. This appears to be from the Thai-Chinese tradition of assigning foods qualities of "hotness" or "coldness." The idea being that one should not consume too much of a hot or cold food, but balance things out with some of each. Both whiskey and durian are considered to be extremely hot in character and thus eating both would make one too hot and cause death.

Durian is an unusual fruit. It grows in gigantic spiky husks that must be slashed open with cleavers. Its fleshy sickly yellow pulp is either ambrosia or something unsuitable for human consumption, depending on your point of view. The smell is penetrating. Across the region, carrying durians on buses or trains is prohibited because of the annoying odor. Thai Airways has special metal boxes in the holds of their planes to transport durians for passengers.

Is it possible some component that makes up the pungent odor might combine with alcohol and form a poisonous chemical? And if so, why only whiskey? What about beer or vodka? A friend of ours makes durian wine. Is he poisoning himself by drinking it? Where are the official warnings? Surely a drunken tourist might eat some durian without knowing and die.

Even some local doctors have told us it is not safe to eat whiskey and durian, but the explanation, that they are both "hot" foods, is not very satisfying. Considering the vast quantities of durian and whiskey consumed here, if the two were fatal in combination, there would likely be corpses littering the restaurants and pubs each night.

Update - July 26, 2001 - Thanks to the dozens of people who have written confirming they have consumed whiskey and durian without dying. The whiskey/durian urban legend seems similar to a new urban legend from Taiwan being reported on the Urban Legends Reference Pages: vitamin C + shrimp = death

It is probably a urban legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the U.S. a glass of milk with cherry pie is considered poisonous by some --- just souring of the milk by the cherries, and the durian-alcohol connection is probably similar folklore. At the same time, alcohol DOES affect transport of chemicals across cell membranes; the variety of sulfur compounds present in durian, and their concentrations in the fruit to be detectable by scent at a distance of a kilometer --- again, probably not a problem, but the variability in taste, odor, and texture described for this little stinker leaves room for the odd question here and there regarding ranges of concentrations of toxic materials in the fruits "on the hoof."

What is durian and why is it called the "King of Fruits"?

Durian is a tropical fruit native to Southeast Asia. It is known for its large size, strong odor, and thorny exterior. It is called the "King of Fruits" because of its unique taste and texture, which some people describe as a combination of sweet, creamy, and slightly savory.

Is durian fatal if consumed with beer?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that consuming durian and beer together is fatal. However, some people may experience discomfort or allergic reactions when consuming durian, so it is important to consume it in moderation.

What is the reason behind the strong odor of durian?

The strong odor of durian comes from a combination of different compounds, such as sulfur-containing compounds and esters. These compounds are produced during the ripening process and are responsible for the distinct smell of durian.

Can everyone eat durian?

While durian is generally safe to eat, some people may have allergic reactions to it. These reactions can range from mild discomfort to severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing. It is best to consult with a doctor before consuming durian if you have a known allergy to it.

Are there any health benefits of consuming durian?

Durian is a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and iron. It also contains antioxidants that can help protect the body against damage from free radicals. However, due to its high sugar and calorie content, it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.