Pilot wave models and "no cross" rule

In summary, Bohmian mechanics predicts that average trajectories based on weak measurements will obey the 'no-crossing rule'. However, some actual individual trajectories within any realist pilot wave model may cross the center line. This is seen in certain pilot-wave analogs of QM, such as Couder-type walking droplet experiments. However, this is fully compatible with the no-crossing rule at the average level.
bohm2
From my understanding, average trajectories based on weak "measurements", obey the 'no-crossing rule'. These average trajectories strongly resemble the single-photon trajectories predicted by Bohmian mechanics:
For instance compare these average trajectories:
http://materias.df.uba.ar/labo5Aa2012c2/files/2012/10/Weak-measurement.pdf

with Bohmian ones:

Since the trajectories were formed by connecting 'average' velocity vectors, does it then imply that some of actual individual trajectories (within any realist pilot wave model-Bohmian or otherwise) can cross the center line? I'm asking because in some pilot-wave analogs of QM (Couder-type walking droplet experiments), crossing over does occur. I'm guessing I messed this up, and in fact, crossing over at individual trajectory level is fully compatible with no-crossing over at the average level?

Physics news on Phys.org
bohm2 said:
From my understanding, average trajectories based on weak "measurements", obey the 'no-crossing rule'. These average trajectories strongly resemble the single-photon trajectories predicted by Bohmian mechanics:
For instance compare these average trajectories:
http://materias.df.uba.ar/labo5Aa2012c2/files/2012/10/Weak-measurement.pdf

with Bohmian ones:

Since the trajectories were formed by connecting 'average' velocity vectors, does it then imply that some of actual individual trajectories (within any realist pilot wave model-Bohmian or otherwise) can cross the center line? I'm asking because in some pilot-wave analogs of QM (Couder-type walking droplet experiments), crossing over does occur. I'm guessing I messed this up, and in fact, crossing over at individual trajectory level is fully compatible with no-crossing over at the average level?

First, the weakly measured trajectories do not merely resemble single-particle Bohmian trajectories. They are equal to them.
Second, there is a general theorem that Bohmian trajectories never cross in space if the wave function is stationary. For a non-stationary wave function the crossing in space is possible, but even than there is no crossing in space-time.

Related to Pilot wave models and "no cross" rule

1. What is a pilot wave model?

A pilot wave model is a type of interpretation of quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of a guiding "pilot wave" which determines the position and behavior of particles in space. Unlike other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, pilot wave models do not rely on the concept of wave-particle duality.

2. How does the "no cross" rule work in pilot wave models?

The "no cross" rule is a fundamental principle in pilot wave models that states that the pilot wave and particle cannot cross or interfere with each other. This ensures that the particle's motion is always determined by the pilot wave, rather than being influenced by random fluctuations. This rule is crucial for the model to accurately predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of pilot wave models in quantum mechanics?

Pilot wave models offer a different perspective and explanation for the behavior of particles in quantum systems compared to traditional interpretations like the Copenhagen interpretation. They provide a more intuitive understanding of quantum mechanics by describing particles as being guided by a physical wave rather than existing as both a wave and a particle simultaneously.

4. Are there any experimental evidence for pilot wave models?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence that definitively supports or refutes pilot wave models. However, there have been some experiments that have shown results consistent with the predictions of pilot wave models, such as the double-slit experiment. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully validate the model.

5. Are pilot wave models accepted by the scientific community?

Pilot wave models are a subject of ongoing debate and discussion within the scientific community. While some researchers and physicists find the model appealing and promising, others criticize it for being overly complicated and not providing a complete explanation of quantum phenomena. Ultimately, the acceptance of pilot wave models among the scientific community is still a matter of ongoing research and investigation.