Overclocking Theory: Achieving Unprecedented Results

• Thread starter Urbanfox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: The goal is to reach a temperature where the particles in the material have lost their ability to interact with each other, to form Cooper pairs. At temperatures below about -270 degrees Celsius, the Cooper pairs start to dissociate (break up). Above about -270 degrees Celsius, the Cooper pairs form so rapidly that they overcome the objections of the surrounding atoms, and the material becomes superconducting. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to achieve temperatures below -270 degrees Celsius. This is where the technology for cooling computers comes in. By cooling the computer, we can reduce the temperature to a level where the Cooper pairs can form again, and the computer becomes
Urbanfox
Basically i am an overclocker at heart. i love to see how far i can push a machine. so, while talking to my dad about a great cooling solution, he came up with this, and ill repeat it in my own words from my post on an overclockers forum, and i would like any imput from some ppl here on the theory. i know its a bit long but please bear with me.

"

Overclocking's, as must must of you would say, biggest determining factor is heat. once heat is mostly ruled out (maybe with a mach II) then its just how far the actual hardware can physically go. but, has anyone every thought, on how to extend that hardware blockade? well first you must look at why parts generally go unstable. heat. but w8, i thought we already took heat out as a determining factor becus, well, we have this uber cooling system. sort of, but I am talking about EVERYTHING. every single piece that any electricity flows through. what burns a cpu or even gpu or any part of a comp? heat. when more elctricity than rated at a higher temp (naturally: more elec more heat) goes through a wire not cool enough it melts. litterally. and most of the time u won't even know it becus there's no smoke and the wire is too small. so then after a discussion with my dad i got thinking. what if u took out the heat for the whole system (not cdrom/hdd just mainboard/ram/cpu/gpu) that would be what's called absolute 0 temperature, which is -463 fahrenheit. however, achieving absolute zero is impossible, but something (very expensive of course) like -462.999 fahrenheit is possible. and the difference between -463 and -462.999 fahrenheit is more than anyone can imagine as there is NO HEAT PERIOD. most of u are probably thinking wtf i don't care where is this going? well hold on and ull find out. u see, at absolute zero there is not heat, which means theoretically that if there is no heat and u had a computer in an absolute 0 environment then u could overclock a p4c or anything higher than what the next 2 generations of intel cpu's could reach WITH overclocking, and theoretically unlimited potential (althought this is a bit more drastic in theory). but as we said earlier we cannot do abosolute 0. however, we can get pretty darned close. so basically, in theory, if we took a whole cpu and put it in a chamber with say -460 F then we could overclock a p4c 3.0 to well over 5.0, and in theory overclock any piece of hardware beyond what any of u can dream as a goal. why? becus EVER SINGLE PIECE OF HARDWARE IS COOLED SO COLD THAT SO MUCH MORE POWER CAN GO THORUGH THE CIRCUITS THAN ANYTHING DOABLE TODAY. ANYTHING. just how theoretical is this? its already been done. no not with overclocking a computer, but the idea of it in other fields. so in essance take the same hardware as that top 3dmark 2k3 scoring guy (9700 something) and put the same equitment in a chamber or controlled environment and get -460 F and ull take his almighty 9700 and could potentially break 11000 no sweat if not a score that would that could match numerically a decent computers 3d mark 2K1 SCORE. pretty interesting idea, id say so myself.

"

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't use the right words, but essentially you are correct. The right word is superconducting. Superconducting materials have no resistance and thus do not produce heat when a current flows.

However, the way to get superconductivity is not to chill any material to absolute zero. It is more complicated than that.

1. What is overclocking and how does it work?

Overclocking is the process of increasing the clock speed of a computer's central processing unit (CPU) beyond its recommended limits. This is achieved by adjusting the voltage and frequency settings in the computer's BIOS or through specialized software. By increasing the clock speed, the CPU can perform more operations per second, resulting in improved performance.

2. What are the potential benefits of overclocking?

The main benefit of overclocking is improved performance, as it allows the CPU to process data at a faster rate. This can result in faster loading times, smoother gameplay, and quicker response times for demanding tasks such as video editing or 3D rendering. It can also extend the lifespan of older computers by giving them a performance boost without the need for expensive hardware upgrades.

3. Are there any risks involved in overclocking?

Yes, there are risks involved in overclocking. Increasing the clock speed and voltage of the CPU can generate more heat, potentially causing damage to the processor if not properly cooled. It can also void the warranty of the computer or CPU. Additionally, unstable overclocking can lead to system crashes and data loss if not done correctly.

4. Can any computer or CPU be overclocked?

Not all computers or CPUs can be overclocked. It depends on the specific hardware and BIOS settings. Generally, newer and more high-end CPUs are more suitable for overclocking, as they are designed with better cooling and power delivery systems. It is important to research the specific computer and CPU before attempting to overclock.

5. How can I ensure a successful and safe overclocking process?

To ensure a successful and safe overclocking process, it is important to carefully research and understand the limits and capabilities of your specific hardware. It is also recommended to use reliable and reputable software for overclocking, and to monitor the temperature and stability of your system during the process. It is also important to have proper cooling in place to prevent overheating. If done correctly, overclocking can provide significant performance gains without causing harm to your system.