Piezoelectric coupled governing equations doubt

In summary: However, if you want to find the strain produced by an electric field, it's better to use a different set of constitutive equations such as {S}=g {D}. This set of equations allows you to know the strain if you know the electric displacement.
jatin1990
Hi , can anybody make me sense of these equation on which i am striking my head for last 2 months. I am trying to understand piezoelectric effect. And in process of which i came to see so called strain based form of equations related to direct(Equation no.2) and reverse(Equation no. 1) piezoelectric effect(attached pic). Can anybody clear my doubt, as if we want to produce the direct effect(Stain to electric field) then we have to go with the 2nd equation. But in the 2nd equation we have two unknown variable matrix i.e. {E} and {D} . How we can solve two unknown variables with the help of a one equation(assuming we can't use 1st equation as it is meant for only reverse effect). Same confusion arising when i tries to make any sense out of 1st equations while following inverse effect.
Thank you a lot.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to find the strain produced by an electric field then it's better to use a different set of constitutive equations. Of course, then you will need a different set of tensor components.For example there is
{S}=sD{T} +g {D}
If you apply electric field only (no mechanically induced strain) then you have
{S}=g {D}
and you can know the strain if you know the electric displacement.

From your set of equations, you can find the stress in presence of an external electric field.

Related to Piezoelectric coupled governing equations doubt

1. What is the purpose of piezoelectric coupled governing equations?

Piezoelectric coupled governing equations are used to describe the behavior of materials that exhibit piezoelectric properties, which means they can generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress or vice versa. These equations help scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of piezoelectric materials in different applications.

2. How are piezoelectric coupled governing equations derived?

The equations are derived from the fundamental principles of electromechanical interactions, which include the conservation of energy, momentum, and charge. They also incorporate material properties such as piezoelectric coefficients and elastic constants.

3. What are the main components of piezoelectric coupled governing equations?

The main components of piezoelectric coupled governing equations include the strain-displacement equations, the electric field equations, and the constitutive equations that relate stress and electric field to strain and electric displacement, respectively.

4. How are piezoelectric coupled governing equations solved?

There are several methods for solving piezoelectric coupled governing equations, including numerical methods such as finite element analysis and analytical methods such as the Rayleigh-Ritz method. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are some common applications of piezoelectric coupled governing equations?

Piezoelectric coupled governing equations are used in a variety of applications, including sensors, actuators, energy harvesting devices, and medical imaging equipment. They are also used in the design and analysis of piezoelectric materials and devices for specific applications, such as ultrasonic transducers and piezoelectric motors.