How Does an Infinitely High Potential Wall Impact Quantum Wave Functions?

In summary, by solving the Schrodinger equation for the two regions and applying boundary conditions, we can find the wave function ψ(x) for the given potential. The solution involves four constants, but one can be eliminated to simplify the algebra. It is important to check for consistency and physically reasonable results when solving these types of problems.
stefan10

Homework Statement

Consider reflection from a step potential of height v-knot with E> v-knot, but now with an infinitely high wall added at a distance a from the step.

infinity < x < 0 => v(x) = 0
0≤ x≤ a => v = vknot
x=a => v= infinity

Solve the Schroedinger equation to find ψ(x) for x< 0 and 0 ≤ x ≤ a, solution should contain only one unknown constant.

Homework Equations

T-Independent Schrodinger EQ

General forms of a wave function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct to first assume that all constants are physically possible in both equations? You'll have a reflection and transmission at the first finite barrier, and a reflection (always) at the infinite barrier. That means there are four constants in both equations. If not, can you explain why?

I should have

ψ_1 = A1 cos (k1*x) + B1 sin(k1*x) (or the respective complex exponentials)
ψ_2= A2 cos(k2*x) + B2 sin(k2*x) (this is for the region 0≤x≤a

When I look at the three boundary conditions,

1. ψ_1(0_ = ψ_2(0)

2. dψ_1/dx (0) = dψ_2/dx (0)

3. ψ_2(a) = 0

I get a complicated algebraic relation between the constants that does not simplify.

So I assume I must get rid of one of the constants, but I'm unsure which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving the SE equation in the two regions, we get
\begin{align*}
\psi_1(x) &= Ae^{ik_1x}+B^{-ik_1x} \\
\psi_2(x) &= C\sin[k_2(x-a)] + D\cos[k_2(x-a)]
\end{align*} where ##k_1^2 = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}## and ##k_2^2=\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}##.

From ##\psi(a)=0##, it follows that ##D=0##. (Writing ##\psi_2## in terms of ##x-a## instead of just ##x## simplifies the algebra.) Continuity of the wave function and its derivative at ##x=0## yields
\begin{align*}
A + B &= -C \sin k_2 a \\
ik_1 A - ik_1 B &= C k_2 \cos k_2 a.
\end{align*} Since ##e^{ik_1x}## represents the incident wave, let's choose to solve for the other two constants in terms of ##A##. Applying Cramer's rule to the system
\begin{align*}
B + C \sin k_2 a &= -A \\
B + C \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a &= A,
\end{align*}we get
$$B = \frac
{\begin{vmatrix} -A & \sin k_2 a \\ A & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
{\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \sin k_2 a \\ 1 & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
= A \frac{ \sin k_2 a - i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a}{\sin k_2 a + i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a} \\
C = \frac
{\begin{vmatrix} 1 & -A \\ 1 & A \end{vmatrix}}
{\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \sin k_2 a \\ 1 & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
= -A \frac{2}{\sin k_2 a + i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a}.$$
After doing a problem like this, it's good to sanity-check your answers. For example, you can show that ##\lvert B/A \rvert^2 = 1##, which indicates that particle is always reflected, as you'd expect because of the infinite potential. A good idea would also be to check what happens when ##V_0=0##. There should be no reflection at ##x=0##.

Related to How Does an Infinitely High Potential Wall Impact Quantum Wave Functions?

1. What is a Piecewise Potential Function?

A Piecewise Potential Function is a mathematical function that describes the potential energy of a system as a piecewise-defined function of the position of its constituent particles. This means that the function is defined differently for different ranges of the particle's position.

2. How is a Piecewise Potential Function different from a regular Potential Function?

A regular Potential Function is a continuous function, meaning that it is defined for all possible values of the particle's position. A Piecewise Potential Function, on the other hand, is only defined for certain ranges of the particle's position and may have different equations for each range.

3. What does the term "piecewise" mean in the context of a Piecewise Potential Function?

The term "piecewise" refers to the fact that the function is defined in separate pieces, or segments, for different ranges of the particle's position. This allows for a more accurate description of the potential energy of a system with varying conditions.

4. Why are Piecewise Potential Functions used in scientific research?

Piecewise Potential Functions are used in scientific research because they provide a more accurate representation of the potential energy of a system. In some cases, a regular Potential Function may not accurately describe the behavior of a system, and a Piecewise Potential Function allows for a more precise analysis.

5. How are Piecewise Potential Functions applied in real-world situations?

Piecewise Potential Functions are commonly used in physics and chemistry to describe the potential energy of a system with varying conditions. They can also be used in engineering and material science to model the behavior of materials under different forces and stresses. Additionally, Piecewise Potential Functions have applications in computer science, such as in machine learning algorithms and image processing.