PID or Relay for Circulating Shower

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PID (autopid arduino lib) to control the heat of a 40amp 24v heating element in a 3liter tank. The use of PWM and a 50amp mosfet is also mentioned. The speaker is considering whether it is necessary to use PID since the water will be circulating and losing heat. They suggest using a fixed thermal mass or a simple temperature switch and relay instead of a PID controller. The possibility of using an ATtiny85 for the setup is also mentioned. It is noted that recirculating water from the shower back to the heater can cause issues due to pollution. A simpler approach may be sufficient, such as a temperature switch and relay, without the
mess
TL;DR Summary
I am making a closed loop circulating shower for my campervan, and I am trying to decide between PID and Relay.
I am considering using PID (autopid arduino lib), in order to control the heat, with PWM and a 50amp mosfet heating a 40amp 24v heating element in a 3litter tank, but I am thinking, that since the water is going to be circulating, and sometimes losing heat to a person, sometimes falling straight into the drain, it will be varying anyways between +/- a few degrees, does it even make sense to use PID? or should I just use a 50amp relay with a basic range cycle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will depend on the reservoir time constant. You might do better with a fixed thermal mass in contact with the water, maintained at the required temperature.

Likes russ_watters
I think you could do it either way. My preference would be to avoid relays, they wear out. However, relay circuits are easier to design. The switching device selection is, in general, a separate issue from the control method.

A simple arduino set up may be best - even if just to make edits in the future. Look at an ATtiny85 - not "native" in Arduino IDE but can be done.

On the Recirculate point - if you are recirculating water from the show back to the heater - be wary, as the pollution ( oils, soap, organics, etc) can really make a mess of a heater.

Seems like overkill to me. A simple temperature switch and relay is probably sufficient. I would not use a pid controller.

Likes DaveE

Related to PID or Relay for Circulating Shower

1. What is a PID and how does it work in a circulating shower system?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is an electronic device that uses feedback to control a process. In the case of a circulating shower system, the PID controller monitors the temperature of the water and adjusts the heating element to maintain a constant temperature.

2. What are the advantages of using a PID controller in a circulating shower system?

A PID controller offers several advantages over traditional on/off temperature control methods. It can maintain a more precise and consistent temperature, resulting in a more comfortable shower experience. It also reduces energy consumption by only using the necessary amount of energy to maintain the desired temperature.

3. Can a PID controller be used with any type of heating element in a circulating shower system?

Yes, a PID controller can be used with various types of heating elements, including electric, gas, and solar. However, it is crucial to ensure that the heating element is compatible with the PID controller and can be controlled by it.

4. What is the role of a relay in a circulating shower system?

A relay is an electromagnetic switch that is used to control the flow of electricity to the heating element in a circulating shower system. It receives signals from the PID controller and turns the heating element on or off accordingly.

5. How do I know if my circulating shower system needs a PID controller or a relay?

If you want to have precise temperature control and save energy, a PID controller is recommended for your circulating shower system. If your shower system already has a PID controller, you will also need a relay to control the heating element. However, if you are satisfied with traditional on/off temperature control and do not need precise temperature control, a relay alone may suffice.