Piareround's questions about LQG

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lqg
In summary, the conversation revolves around questions about LQG (quantum loop gravity) and its relationship with quantum foam. The speaker clarifies that quantum foam is not a clearly defined thing in LQG and plays no role in the theory. The main tool used in LQG is a spinfoam, which is visually similar to a foam of soapsuds, but is used to calculate the transition amplitudes between initial and final states of geometry. The speaker also mentions that LQG can be formulated at any dimension, but most research has focused on the 3-dimensional and 4-dimensional cases. They invite others to respond to Pia's questions and offer differing perspectives.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Piareround had some questions about LQG. I have to go out for the next hour or so. Maybe someone will take a look and respond. Or I will when I get back.

piareround said:
... https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=432962"...

... as I was reading your thread I realized that I assumed two things:
First, quantum loop gravity only requires 4 dimensional Minkowski Space
Second, that quantum foam actually plays a role in quantum loop gravity.

So I was hoping you could help me with the following questions:

1. Are there any limits, such as a minimum or maximum, on the number of dimensions that quantum loop gravity, independent of string theory, would require?
  2. Is their a relationship between quantum foam and quantum loop gravity? If so, what role exactly does quantum foam play in quantum loop gravity theory? If not, does quantum loop gravity, replace quantum foam with something analogous to quantum foam purpose in solution the Klein-Gordon Equation(*)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, we need to be clear about what is meant by "quantum foam".

In LQG there is something called a spinfoam, which is not assumed to exist. It is a tool for calculating the transition amplitudes between initial and final states of geometry.

You know what it means to speak "figuratively"? You could say that if LQG is a good theory of geometry, then intuitively spacetime has a "foamy" character. But that is mathematically meaningless. It is just a mental picture. You can't calculate with it.

So "quantum foam" is not a clearly defined thing and it plays no role in the theory.

However the spinfoam is visually rather like a foam of soapsuds----vertices, edges, surfaces. A bunch of vertices with edges connecting them, and bits of surface (triangles, fourside polygons, fiveside etc...) surrounded by the edges.
But the spinfoam is used to calculate how the initial geometry evolves into the final geometry. The whole theory is about the quantum evolution of one geometry into another---one shape of space bending and flexing and stretching and changing into another. Transition "probabilities"---how likely each evolutionary path is.

The foam is a tool to organize the information needed to do that. One doesn't try to say what nature or spacetime IS, one tries to predict and calculate the odds of observing this or that.

Answer to #2: quantum foam plays no role. what plays a role is spinfoam. (a "colored 2-complex" where the colors are group reps, used for calculation)

Answer to #1: LQG can be formulated at any dimension. However all the work has gone into studying it in D=3 and D=4. The reason to look at D=3 case is as a toy model, easier to handle, to learn stuff which you can then try to reproduce in the REAL case which is D=4.

LQG research is pretty much completely invested in the D=4 case of LQG. Evidence of other dimensionality would basically falsify all the current work. In my humble opinion (I'm just an observer, one of several here.)

I hope other people will respond to Pia's questions and invite disagreement. If you know the story differently please tell it!

Last edited:

Related to Piareround's questions about LQG

1. What is LQG?

LQG stands for Loop Quantum Gravity, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that space and time are not continuous, but are made up of discrete units known as "loops."

2. How does LQG differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

LQG differs from other theories, such as string theory, in that it does not rely on extra dimensions or strings to explain the fundamental nature of the universe. Instead, it focuses on the discrete nature of space and time.

3. What are the main challenges facing LQG?

One of the main challenges facing LQG is the difficulty of incorporating it into the standard model of particle physics. It also faces challenges in making testable predictions and providing a complete and consistent framework.

4. What is the current status of LQG in the scientific community?

LQG is still a developing theory and is considered by many to be a promising avenue for unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics. However, it is still a subject of debate and further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand its validity.

5. What potential applications could arise from LQG?

If LQG is proven to be a valid theory, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It could also potentially lead to advancements in areas such as quantum computing and space exploration.