Piano Club Problem: Finding Hours for Elevens & Twelves

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ilikebugs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary, the number of hours for grade elevens is 12 times 2, and the number of hours for grade twelves is 18 times 4.
Ilikebugs
View attachment 6199 so if a= elevens and b= twelves, the number of hours for elevens are C(a,a-2) times 2, and the number of hours for twelves are C(b,b-2) times 4. I don't know where to go from here

Attachments

• Piano.png
    Piano.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 62
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, if we define the number of grade 11 students to be $a$, then there are $b=30-a$ grade 12 students. The number of ways to pick a pair of grade 11 students is:

\(\displaystyle N_1={a \choose 2}=\frac{a(a-1)}{2}\)

The number of ways to pick 2 grade 12 students is:

\(\displaystyle N_2={30-a \choose 2}=\frac{(30-a)(29-a)}{2}\)

And the number of ways to pick a pair consisting of one grade 11 student and 1 grade 12 student is:

\(\displaystyle N_3=a(30-a)\)

And so, using the information given in the problem, we may state:

\(\displaystyle 2N_1+4N_2+3N_3=1392\)

Substitute for $N_i$, and you should ultimately obtain a linear equation in $a$. What do you find?

I don't know.

Ilikebugs said:
I don't know.

I edited your post to translate it into English. Please don't use text-speak abbreviations.

Okay, what I suggested is to substitute as follows:

\(\displaystyle 2\left(\frac{a(a-1)}{2}\right)+4\left(\frac{(30-a)(29-a)}{2}\right)+3\left(a(30-a)\right)=1392\)

Distribute:

\(\displaystyle a(a-1)+2(30-a)(29-a)+3a(30-a)=1392\)

Okay, now distribute again, and collect like terms...what do you have?

1740−29a=1392

348=29a

12=a?

Ilikebugs said:
1740−29a=1392

348=29a

12=a?

Yes, I got $a=12$ as well. (Yes)

Related to Piano Club Problem: Finding Hours for Elevens & Twelves

1. How do you determine the best schedule for the Piano Club meetings?

The best schedule for the Piano Club meetings can be determined by analyzing the availability of the members and finding a time slot that works for the majority. It is also important to consider the duration of the meetings and any potential conflicts with other activities.

2. What is the significance of finding hours for elevens and twelves in the Piano Club problem?

Finding hours for elevens and twelves is important in the Piano Club problem because these are the most convenient times for members to attend meetings. These hours are also typically free from other commitments, making it easier for members to participate.

3. How do you account for time zone differences in scheduling Piano Club meetings?

When accounting for time zone differences, it is important to consider the location of each member and find a time that works for everyone. This may require some flexibility and compromise from all members, but it ensures that all members can attend the meetings at a convenient time.

4. Can adjustments be made to the schedule if conflicts arise?

Yes, adjustments can be made to the schedule if conflicts arise. It is important to communicate these changes to all members and find a new time slot that works for everyone. This may require some flexibility and compromise from all members.

5. How can technology be used to help with scheduling Piano Club meetings?

Technology can be used to help with scheduling Piano Club meetings by using tools such as scheduling apps or online calendars. These tools can help coordinate the availability of members and find the best time slot for meetings. Additionally, video conferencing technology can be used to accommodate members who are unable to attend in person.