Social philosophy books, where to start?

In summary: What would you recommend?The dune series by Frank Herbert, if I correctly understood the idea of social philosophy, but they are brilliant books never the less.What type of social philosophy?Political? Economic? Anthropological? Something else?Not to mention what kind of social philosophy, eastern or western, idealistic, modern or classical, etc. I don't know of any single work that includes them all.Things along the lines of Richard Rorty's Philosophy and Social Hope, John Rawls' A Theory of Justice, and Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish and Madness and Civilization.Montaigne was a politician as
zk4586
What would you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
the dune series by frank herbert, if i correctly understood the idea of social philosophy, but they are brilliant books never the less.

What type of social philosophy? Political? Economic? Anthropological? Something else?

Not to mention what kind of social philosophy, eastern or western, idealistic, modern or classical, etc. I don't know of any single work that includes them all.

Things along the lines of Richard Rorty's Philosophy and Social Hope, John Rawls' A Theory of Justice, and Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish and Madness and Civilization.

montaigne was a politician as well as a philospher so thought a lot about social philosophy, I'm thinking in particular of essays like 'on cannibals' but there are alot.

Most philosophers deal with social issues in addition to 'ivory-tower-topics' such as formal logic or metaphysics.

Things written by Socrates, Plato, Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau, Nietzsche, Kant, Mills, Russell (not Principia Mathematica!), Dewey, Chomsky . . . the list goes on.

It's better if you could say what particular topics you are interested in (eg relationship between citizen and state? social justice? democracy?) so that others can then direct you to the relevant literature.

ah, endless specification. I'd say topics like the relationship between citizen and state, the nature of mass movements and revolutions, ect.

start with a good dictionary...

If you need to read for school that is one thing, if you want to read for the sake of not watching TV that is another, but if reality is your destination, disolve your questions with an endless attack. What will result will not need to be questioned.

If you need to read go with the american indians, they don't leave a lot of room for carp unless it is smoked of course.

"The Condition Of Man" by Lewis Mumford.

"Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein.

to totoro (the other thread):

what is it you're interested in?
what kind of approach might suit you:
- religious (Buddhism, Asian Philosophy, Yin Yang, God and universe)?
- scientific (big bang, origin of universe, consistency of matter, energy spacetime, relativity, uncertainty)?
- ethic, moral (is it right/wrong to clone, warfare in specific situation, kill animals for e.g. cosmetics, fur, be vegetarian, euthanasia)?
- cognitive (can man understand the whole by knowledge, how much we depend on perception)?
- metaphysical (anything about unknown world, "beyond", "being")
- methodical (what's the right way to approach 'truth' or the unknown, logic, ignore the seeming-likely and find systematic true statements)?
- .. ?

i got into it all by looking up things in the dictionnary and the net: scientific terms (bigbang, uncertainty, relativity, aso.), 'general' terms (being, universe, world, knowledge, perception, truth, nature, reality), specific philosophical terms (existentialism, dualism, monism, dialectics, cartesianism), or great names. you'll be into it soon (if you aren't already:)

everyone's a philosopher (who wonders about world or anything..)

Last edited by a moderator:
roeighty, I'm interested in all the thing that you ask me but i think the kind that suit me are scientific, metaphysical and methodical.

i'm want to ask you all something. what kind of attitudes do a philosopher or a scientist need? someone say to me that i should think freely and dare to question anything that you feel not right. what do you think or you have any different idea?

..curiosity.
..admit for the unsuspected.
..astonishment.
..get into and learn new, interesting things.
..weigh words well, if i can. (not only my words..)
..forget about all, i know. (be ostentatively naive, in order to get to basics)

..but that's, like, my way, ..i'm sure you do have an own way.

"The Worldly Philosophers" by Heilbroner gives a well rounded basis for many differing economic and socio-economic philosophies, and the philosophers behind them.

Njorl

1. What is social philosophy?

Social philosophy is a branch of philosophy that examines the role of society and social institutions in shaping individuals and their behaviors. It explores topics such as justice, freedom, equality, and power dynamics within society.

2. Why is it important to read social philosophy books?

Reading social philosophy books can help individuals gain a deeper understanding of the world around them and the complex social issues that exist. It can also provide insight into different perspectives and ways of thinking, allowing for more informed and critical thinking.

3. Where should I start when reading social philosophy books?

A good place to start would be with classic works by influential social philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, and Karl Marx. It is also helpful to read books that provide an overview of different social philosophies and their key concepts.

4. What are some common themes in social philosophy books?

Common themes in social philosophy books include the nature of society, the role of the individual within society, the relationship between power and justice, and the concept of social responsibility. Other themes may include human rights, social inequality, and the impact of technology on society.

5. How can reading social philosophy books benefit society?

Reading social philosophy books can promote critical thinking and encourage individuals to question the status quo. It can also spark important discussions and lead to a better understanding of complex social issues, potentially leading to positive change in society.