Physics: wavelength of sound waves

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem involving the wavelength equation for harmonic waves. The equation used was wavelength = 2 * length / n, where n can be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... However, for destructive interference, the formula would require n to be odd. The conversation also clarified that this problem did not involve a standing wave, but rather two waves from different tubes interfering.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

Stated in the attached file.

Homework Equations

Wavelength = 2 times length divided by harmonic
I don’t know if it’s the relevant equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation I wrote. So, if the left side is 10cm longer, I guess it might be 2(10).

Attachments

• 9F37DE66-B2C2-4909-A504-64604852B199.jpeg
    9F37DE66-B2C2-4909-A504-64604852B199.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
20 cm is right, but I'm not sure you used the right formula.
10 cm corresponds to one of 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, ... times the wavelength, only the first option leads to a possible answer.

I used this formula, is it the right one?

Attachments

• 7D6FC47E-3800-4C93-97D5-E8876F57D139.jpeg
    7D6FC47E-3800-4C93-97D5-E8876F57D139.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 360
No. That looks like something for constructive interference.

mfb said:
20 cm is right, but I'm not sure you used the right formula.
10 cm corresponds to one of 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, ... times the wavelength, only the first option leads to a possible answer.
I think that’s the same rule. If wavelength=2*length / n, where n can be 1,2,3,4,5,6,...(the one wrote in the picture)
It’s basically the same as you said but solving for length not wavelength. I mean, length =1/2 *n*wavelength.
Right?

For destructive interference you want the length difference to be (n+1/2) wavelengths where n is an integer: L = (n+1/2)λ or 2L = (2n+1)λ or ##\lambda = \frac{2L}{2n+1}##. Your formula works if you require n in it to be odd.

I am confused now. That’s a little bit different from I have learned. Or is this rule for these type of questions?

Attachments

• 25206B94-0411-4858-BC42-BE0E6D6C1519.jpeg
    25206B94-0411-4858-BC42-BE0E6D6C1519.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 368
You do not have a standing wave here. You have two waves from different tubes interfering.

Likes YMMMA
mfb said:
You do not have a standing wave here. You have two waves from different tubes interfering.
Yes, okay then. Thanks!

Related to Physics: wavelength of sound waves

1. What is the definition of wavelength in physics?

Wavelength is defined as the distance between two consecutive points that are in phase with each other on a wave, such as the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs.

2. How is wavelength related to the frequency and speed of sound waves?

Wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency and directly proportional to the speed of sound waves. This means that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases, and as the speed of sound increases, wavelength also increases.

3. Can the wavelength of sound waves be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of sound waves can be measured using various techniques such as the two-point method or the standing wave method. These methods involve measuring the distance between two points on a wave or between two nodes of a standing wave, respectively.

4. What factors affect the wavelength of sound waves?

The wavelength of sound waves is affected by the medium through which it travels, the temperature of the medium, and the frequency of the sound wave. In general, sound waves travel faster in denser mediums and at higher temperatures, resulting in shorter wavelengths.

5. How is the wavelength of sound waves used in real-world applications?

The wavelength of sound waves is used in various applications such as ultrasound imaging, sonar technology, and musical instruments. In ultrasound imaging, the wavelength is used to determine the resolution and clarity of the image. In sonar technology, the wavelength is used to measure the distance and depth of objects underwater. In musical instruments, the wavelength determines the pitch of the sound produced.