Physics Vector Cross Product problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the cross product and angle between two given vectors A = -6i + 5j and B = i + 4j. To find the cross product, a 3x3 matrix was made and the determinant was found to be -29k. To find the angle, it is suggested to graph the vectors and use the dot product or magnitude of the cross product to find the angle. The cosine of the angle can also be found using the law of sines.
majormaaz
1. Homework Statement
Two vectors are given by A = -6 i + 5 j and B = 1 i + 4 j
Find A X B (answer only in terms of i, j, k)
Find the angle between A and B (answer is terms of degrees)

2. Homework Equations
All I was told was that if I set a 3x3 matrix like this:
i j k
-6 5 0
1 4 0
then AxB is the determinant

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I made the 3x3 matrix and found the determinant to be only -29 k, which I am told is correct.
I have absolutely no idea on how to approach the angle problem. If I may ask, can someone get me started in the right direction for that problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by graphing it that may help. Think of sin,cosine.

Last edited:
i is along X axis
j is along y-axis
k is along z axis (not relevant)

The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of the vector magnitudes times the cosine of the angle between them. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the vector magnitudes times the sine of the angle between them. The direction of the cross product is perpendicular to the two vectors.

Chestermiller said:
The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of the vector magnitudes times the cosine of the angle between them. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the vector magnitudes times the sine of the angle between them. The direction of the cross product is perpendicular to the two vectors.

Thanks for the info, but I'm just trying to understand cross products as it relates to this problem.

The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the vector magnitudes times the sine of the angle between them.

So you're basically saying that A X B = ABsin∅? Great! But in this case, I was given A and B as vectors. So would that mean that I would have to find the displacement between A and B, let's call it C, and use law of sines to get the angle? That seems like a bit of work.

majormaaz said:
So you're basically saying that A X B = ABsin∅? But in this case, I was given A and B as vectors. So would that mean that I would have to find the displacement between A and B, let's call it C, and use law of sines to get the angle?
You have already calculated A×B, so you can easily determine |A×B|, |A| and |B|. From those calculate sin(∅).

The dot product gives you the cosine of the angle. Once you know the cosine of the angle, you can get the sine. Or you can use the info that haruspex provided you. Both should give you the same result.

Related to Physics Vector Cross Product problem

What is the definition of vector cross product?

The vector cross product, also known as the vector or cross product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is represented by the symbol "x" or "×".

How is the vector cross product calculated?

The vector cross product is calculated using the formula:
a × b = (aybz - azby)i + (azbx - axbz)j + (axby - aybx)k
where a and b are the two input vectors, and i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

What are the properties of vector cross product?

Some properties of vector cross product are:
- The cross product of two parallel vectors is zero.
- The cross product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes.
- The cross product is anti-commutative, meaning a × b = -b × a.
- The cross product is distributive, meaning a × (b + c) = a × b + a × c.

How is the vector cross product used in physics?

The vector cross product is used in physics to calculate quantities such as torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields. It is also used in mechanics to calculate the cross product of force and displacement, and in electromagnetism to calculate the cross product of electric and magnetic fields.

What are some common applications of vector cross product?

The vector cross product has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common applications include:
- Calculating torque and angular momentum in mechanics.
- Calculating magnetic fields in electromagnetism.
- Solving problems involving motion and forces in physics.
- Creating 3D graphics and animations in computer graphics.
- Designing and analyzing structures in engineering.