Physics vacation work in Australia (or the southern hemisphere)

In summary, the person is looking for physics labs or places to do research in Australia during the summer holidays. They are currently in their 2nd year of a B Eng / B Adv. Science degree and prefer pure physics over engineering. They have had no luck finding options aside from CSIRO and ANSTO, and are asking for recommendations. Some options include ANU, University of Sydney, University of Adelaide, and Macquarie University.
dr_nic
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to physics labs or really any place to do with physics (not engineering) that take on students in the summer holidays. I am currently in my 2nd year of a B Eng / B Adv. Science degree in Australia. I've looked up places to do with engineering but my passion lies with physics and so (even though I may make less) I would love to find somewhere I could do pure physics.

If you aren't sure about places that do this sort of thing could you just reply with physics labs that are in Australia that I can contact as I have had no success in finding any (aside from CSIRO and ANSTO).

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
for any help you can provide!

Hello,

I am a physicist and I understand your passion for pure physics. Australia has many great opportunities for students interested in physics during the summer holidays. Some potential places to look for vacation work in physics include universities, government research organizations such as CSIRO and ANSTO, and private research companies. Additionally, you may want to reach out to individual physics professors or researchers to inquire about any potential summer research opportunities they may have available.

Some specific physics labs in Australia that you may want to contact include the Australian Institute of Physics, the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, the Australian Astronomical Observatory, and the Australian Synchrotron. These labs may offer summer research programs or may be able to connect you with other opportunities in the field of physics.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a physics vacation work opportunity that aligns with your interests and goals. Don't hesitate to reach out to individual labs or researchers to inquire about potential opportunities. Good luck!

Related to Physics vacation work in Australia (or the southern hemisphere)

What is Physics vacation work?

Physics vacation work refers to temporary employment opportunities for students studying physics in Australia or the southern hemisphere during their academic breaks. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and apply their theoretical knowledge to real-world projects.

Who is eligible for Physics vacation work in Australia?

Physics vacation work is typically available to undergraduate and postgraduate students who are currently enrolled in a physics-related degree program. Some employers may also consider recent graduates or high school students with a strong interest in physics. Eligibility requirements may vary depending on the specific job or internship opportunity.

What types of projects are typically offered in Physics vacation work?

The types of projects offered in Physics vacation work can vary greatly depending on the employer and the specific job or internship opportunity. However, they often involve conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and assisting with research projects in various fields of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or materials science.

How long does Physics vacation work typically last?

The duration of Physics vacation work can vary depending on the employer and the specific job or internship opportunity. Some positions may last for just a few weeks during the academic break, while others may last for several months. It is important to carefully review the job description or contact the employer for more information on the expected duration of the work.

Are Physics vacation work opportunities paid?

In most cases, Physics vacation work opportunities in Australia or the southern hemisphere are paid positions. However, the amount of compensation may vary depending on factors such as the type of work, duration of the position, and the employer's budget. Some internships may also offer academic credit instead of monetary compensation.