Physics undergrad, EE grad.

In summary, it is possible to do a physics BS and then an MEng in EE without having to take too many additional courses. Your broad physics and math knowledge will make up for any shortcomings. It is also encouraged for EEs to take courses outside their department, so you won't need to take as many physics courses. As for the typical requirements for an MEng in EE, you should have a good foundation in Fourier/Laplace transforms, control theory, EM theory, analog and digital electronics, solid state physics, engineering maths, probability, and communications theory. Specialization in a specific area can be achieved through 2-4 courses in that area. Ultimately, your advisor will help you determine which courses are necessary and your grad
6eecs
I was wondering if it was possible to do physics BS then MEng in EE without making up too many courses?

My goal is to end up working in the industry, so that's why I'm thinking about doing the MEng in EE (I also enjoy analog part of EE, as well as the solid-state device design). If I plan to do so, what is the typical requirements for me to do an MEng in EE? (which courses should I try to take?)

Would 5 courses in analog/circuit design be enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
6eecs said:
I was wondering if it was possible to do physics BS then MEng in EE without making up too many courses?

My goal is to end up working in the industry, so that's why I'm thinking about doing the MEng in EE (I also enjoy analog part of EE, as well as the solid-state device design). If I plan to do so, what is the typical requirements for me to do an MEng in EE? (which courses should I try to take?)

Would 5 courses in analog/circuit design be enough?

The quick answer is you shouldn't need to make up too many classes. Whatever shortcomings you have will be more than made up for by your broad physics and math knowledge. Undergrad physics is all about fundamentals, and good fundamentals will take you a long way in engineering. At a grad level, students are encouraged to take courses outside of their department and EEs often take many physics courses. You won't need to do that as much (or at all).

Five courses in analog circuit design seems too much in a very specific area. I would think 2 or 3 would be enough, and maybe 4 only if you want that to be your main area of expertise. Analog design is best learned by doing, anyway.

The important undergrad foundations in EE are, Fourier/Laplace transforms, control theory, EM theory, analog and digital electronics, solid state physics, engineering maths, probability and communications theory. One can then specialize in biomedical, power, control, signal processing, telecom, computer design, electronics, microelectronics, electromagnetics etc. You probably have most of the fundamentals down, but your advisor would help you shore up any weaknesses. Your grad classes are going to cover all this anyway. A typical MS degree requires 8 courses. I'd be surprised if you need to take more than 10.

Related to Physics undergrad, EE grad.

1. What is the difference between a Physics undergraduate degree and an Electrical Engineering graduate degree?

A Physics undergraduate degree provides a broad understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, while an Electrical Engineering graduate degree focuses on the application of those principles in the field of electrical and electronic systems.

2. Can I pursue an Electrical Engineering graduate degree with a Physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, many universities offer programs that allow students with a Physics undergraduate degree to pursue an Electrical Engineering graduate degree. However, some prerequisite courses may be required.

3. What skills do I need to excel in a Physics undergrad, EE grad program?

Strong mathematical skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities are essential for success in a Physics undergraduate and Electrical Engineering graduate program. Additionally, having a strong foundation in physics and a passion for technology and innovation is beneficial.

4. What career opportunities are available with a Physics undergrad, EE grad degree?

Graduates with a Physics undergraduate degree and an Electrical Engineering graduate degree have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research and development, designing and testing electronic systems, and working in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and energy.

5. Can I switch from a Physics undergrad to an Electrical Engineering grad program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a Physics undergraduate program to an Electrical Engineering graduate program. However, it may require taking additional courses to meet the prerequisite requirements for the graduate program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for guidance on the specific requirements and process for switching programs.