Physics Theory Questions. Electrostatic/magnetic

In summary: At step two - what's the picture?At step three - what's the picture?In summary, at step one, the positively charged object would become positively charged and the ground would be removed. At step two, the picture would be of the neutral metal rod having a net zero charge. At step three, the picture would be of the neutral metal rod having a positive net charge.
skg94

Homework Statement

A positively charged object is brought near to, but does not touch, one end of the a neutral metal rod on an insulated stand. The opposite end of the metal rod is grounded. The ground is removed, and then the positively charged object is removed.

As a result of this procedue described above the metal rod will be :

a) neutral
b) have a net zero charge
c) have a positive net charge
d) have a negative net charge

2. When white light from the sun strikes a flint glass beat, the white light is separated into its component colors.

Which of the following statements contains a valid prediction of the relative indices of refraction for red and violet light and a justification of that prediction?
a) Index of refraction of red light in flint glass is greater than that of violet light because red light refracts more inside the flint glass.
b) Index of refraction of red light is less than violet because it refracts less.
c) Index of refraction of violet light is greater than red because it refracts more
d) Index of refraction of violet light is greater than red because it refracts less.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. if you brought a positive charge to it, it would become positive and ground removes electrons, but as the grounding is removed and the object would it become net zero, or neutral? Or remain positively charged

2. I said b, because red refracts least right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you brought a positive charge to it, it would become positive and ground removes electrons, but as the grounding is removed and the object would it become net zero, or neutral? Or remain positively charged
It helps to draw a picture of each stage.

You have worked out that the charges in a conductor are free to move, and that a neutral conductor contains equal amounts of positive and negative charge.
You don't need to know what the charge is carried on to do the problem.

1. bringing a positively charged rod close to the conductor.
... what sort of charges are attracted to the positive rod and what sort are repelled?

2. ground the opposite side:
... what charge is the opposite side?
... what does this mean for the connection to ground?

3. remove the ground then the rod
... the conductor started off with a balance of charges, will this balance remain (have charges been added or removed?)

1. Well, actually if i remember snells law says that they repel right? or is that different, I am sorry my electrostatics is blurry. But since its neutral i thought the positive charges would just transfer. Electrons would be attracted to the + and + would repel.

2. negative right? and i have no idea

3. Well that's kind of my question, i don't understand what happens, would the electrons flow back in, that were being grounded?

When the positive charged object is brought close to the metal rod, it attracts the opposite charge. In this case, the negative charge would be attracted to the positive charge, right? Because opposite charges (positive and negative) attract and the same charges (negative + negative, positive + positive) repel. So if the negative charge is attracted to the side closer to the positive charged object, the other side of the rod would have to be what charge? This charge has to counter act the growth of negative charge on the other side of the rod. Grounding in electricity essentially means that the object being grounded neutralizes. In this case, the opposite end of the metal object is being grounded. So now you have a neutralized opposite end and a negative end being attracted still with the positive charge. When the positive charge is released, the negative charge does what? It leaves the concentrated area and disperses. So what would the final net charge be?

Negative?

yes, and sorry I don't remember optics too well.

skg94 said:
1. Well, actually if i remember snells law says that they repel right? or is that different, I am sorry my electrostatics is blurry. But since its neutral i thought the positive charges would just transfer. Electrons would be attracted to the + and + would repel.
Snell's Law is the Law of Refraction in optics.

Remember
- charge is transferred by contact (strictly: "electrical contact")
- opposite charges attract

... these two bits of information are essential to completing this problem.
Go through the questions again, bearing these two facts in mind.
Like I said - it helps to draw a picture of each stage.

At step one - what's the picture?

Related to Physics Theory Questions. Electrostatic/magnetic

1. What is electrostatics and how does it differ from magnetism?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest, while magnetism is the study of how electric charges in motion create magnetic fields.

2. What is Coulomb's law and how is it related to electrostatics?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is a fundamental principle in electrostatics.

3. What is the difference between an insulator and a conductor in terms of electrostatics?

An insulator is a material that does not allow electric charges to flow freely, while a conductor is a material that allows for the easy flow of electric charges. In terms of electrostatics, insulators hold their electric charges in place, while conductors allow for the movement of electric charges.

4. How do objects become charged and what are the two types of charges?

Objects become charged when they gain or lose electrons. The two types of charges are positive and negative, with positive charges indicating a loss of electrons and negative charges indicating a gain of electrons.

5. How does electrostatic force affect the movement of charged particles?

Electrostatic force can either attract or repel charged particles, depending on the types of charges involved. Oppositely charged particles will attract each other, while particles with the same charge will repel each other. This force is responsible for the movement of electric charges in conductors and the behavior of objects in electric fields.