Physics:series of 3 lenses calculate mag

• Thread starter ally.hady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the problem involves finding the final position of the image and overall magnification for an object placed 10.0 cm from a series of 3 lenses with focal lengths of 5.00 cm, 9.00 cm, and 3.00 cm, and distances between each lens of 25.0 cm. The solution involves using the lens equation and a diagram to calculate the image distance from the first lens, then using that as the object distance for the second lens and repeating the process for the third lens. The overall magnification can be found by multiplying the individual magnifications of each lens.
ally.hady

Homework Statement

An object is placed 10.0 cm from a series of 3 lenses. The first lens has focal length of 5.00 cm, the second lens has a focal length of 9.00 cm and the final lens has a focal length of 3.00 cm. the distance between each lens is 25.0 cm. Find the final position of the image and the overall magnification.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/Di + 1/Do

Di= distance to image, DO, distance to object. f= focal

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know where to start here I am used to doing one lense questions please help

thanks.
Ally

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a figure first. Then calculate the image distance from the first lens. The image will be the object for the second lens, find its distance from it and use as object distance in the lens equation to find the position of the second image which will be the object for the third lens.

ehild

Diagrams i thought of it before but it takes too much time and our teacher has allowed us to use diagrams on the test coming up but he also told us its not worth it due to the time distribution for all of the questions. do you think i can do this without drawing a diagram? forexample use the object to find images height then use that but the problem I am going to run into i think is the distance of 2ndobject (1st image) how am i going to calculate the distance of it? would it be x-25cm. the x representing the distance of image for the 1st lense? and the answer i get from x-25 would be distance of object for second lens? thankyou for taking the time to help appreciate it!

ally.hady said:
the problem I am going to run into i think is the distance of 2ndobject (1st image) how am i going to calculate the distance of it?

You can see that from a diagram at once.

ehild

Attachments

• threelenses.JPG
    threelenses.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 364
thankyou sir

Related to Physics:series of 3 lenses calculate mag

1. What is the formula for calculating magnification using a series of 3 lenses?

The formula for calculating the overall magnification of a series of 3 lenses is M = M1 x M2 x M3, where M1, M2, and M3 represent the individual magnifications of each lens.

2. How do you determine the individual magnifications of each lens?

The individual magnification of a lens can be determined by dividing the image distance by the object distance. This can also be expressed as M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance.

3. Can the magnification be negative in a series of 3 lenses?

Yes, the magnification can be negative in a series of 3 lenses. This indicates that the image is inverted compared to the object.

4. What is the significance of using a series of 3 lenses in magnification calculations?

Using a series of 3 lenses allows for a larger overall magnification than using a single lens. This is because the magnification of each lens is multiplied together, resulting in a greater overall magnification.

5. Are there any limitations to using a series of 3 lenses for magnification calculations?

Using a series of 3 lenses can introduce errors and limitations, such as chromatic aberration and spherical aberration. It is important to carefully choose the lenses and consider these factors when calculating magnification.