Physics: Projectile Motion - Maximizing Soccer Ball Distance/Hang-Time

In summary, the equation for the time spent in the air as a function of the same parameters is: X=vi*cos(angle)*t +1/2*g*t^2. This equation assumes some values for the variables, and it is best to write expressions for the Distance traveled as a function of ##v_0##, ##\theta_0## and g. Then the answer will become clear.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

The question is in the pic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered it B. Still i am not quite sure whether it is B or E. I assumed some numbers, though.

Attachments

• 2DE569A0-5148-481D-B4BD-9BE4C72A226A.jpeg
    2DE569A0-5148-481D-B4BD-9BE4C72A226A.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I answered it B. Still i am not quite sure whether it is B or E. I assumed some numbers, though.
The best way is to write expressions for the Distance traveled as a function of ##v_0##, ##\theta_0## and g. And then to write the equation for the time spent in the air as a function of the same parameters. Then the answer will become clear.

Yes, I think that is what I did.
X=vi*cos(angle)*t +1/2*g*t^2
Assuming some values will get me an answer of B

YMMMA said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Please elaborate on your reasoning for each choice. Helpers won't simply confirm or deny what could well just be a guess...

YMMMA said:
Can you explain in words what this represents?

YMMMA said:
Yes, I think that is what I did.
Assuming some values will get me an answer of B
You are mixing things along x and along y. This is not the correct equation for the X position. Have you seen the range formula?

gneill said:
Can you explain in words what this represents?
the horizontal distance = initial velocity times cosine theta x time +half times acceleration due to gravity x time squared

nrqed said:
You are mixing things along x and along y. This is not the correct equation for the X position. Have you seen the range formula?
Yes, do u mean x=vi*cosine theta*t

YMMMA said:
the horizontal distance = initial velocity times cosine theta x time +half times acceleration due to gravity x time squared
See what @nrqed said in post #6 above.

YMMMA said:
That’s one?

YMMMA said:
Yes, this is correct. But now you want an expression in term of ##\theta_0##, ##v_0## and g only. So you don't want time. You will have to find an expression for the time of flight.

Do google searches on "Projectile Range Formula" and "Projectile Time Of Flight Formula".

Likes nrqed
Note that “... certain to ...” means it has to be true for all possible choices of initial v and initial angle and for all amounts of change. There are several answers which might be true for some particular conditions, but there is only one which is true for all conditions.

Likes hmmm27
So, yeah increasing both of them will certainly increase time and horizontal range based on these formulas. Answer A, then

Attachments

• B0486492-89AB-4E70-B1CC-D3F70006DA4A.png
    B0486492-89AB-4E70-B1CC-D3F70006DA4A.png
    4 KB · Views: 614
You're kidding, right ?

Last edited:
Cutter Ketch said:
Note that “... certain to ...” means it has to be true for all possible choices of initial v and initial angle and for all amounts of change. There are several answers which might be true for some particular conditions, but there is only one which is true for all conditions.
Yes, I think now after these two equations I can see the relation clearly. Thanks.

hmmm27 said:
You're kidding, right ?
Umm?

On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ? and what could that signify.

hmmm27 said:
On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ?
Do you mean ‘figure not drawn to scale’?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm27 said:
On your picture, what do the words say underneath the diagram ? and what could that signify.
It’s just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile.
Note: Its an SAT question. Most of the diagrams are not drawn to scale, its just for visualization.

YMMMA said:
It’s just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile.
Note: Its an SAT question. Most of the diagrams are not drawn to scale, its just for visualization.
Projectile motion refers to situations when only the force of gravity is acting. So yes, it is a projectile motion situation.

It's just to clarify that the motion of the ball is projectile

huh ? Sorry, I keep forgetting the amount of ESL students in here... okay, what it boils down to is you can't tell from looking at the diagram what theta is. Also, the solution choices don't give you control over the amount of increase/decrease of theta or init-velocity.

But mostly, as Cutter pointed out : "certain to".

Likes YMMMA
YMMMA said:
So, yeah increasing both of them will certainly increase time and horizontal range based on these formulas. Answer A, then
YMMMA said:
How did you reach that conclusion? Explain carefully your reasoning and we will be able to point out where your mistake is. That's the best way to learn.

hmmm27 said:
You're kidding, right ?
Please, let's be respectful. People come here with various backgrounds and levels of study. We are here to help them.

Likes hmmm27 and gneill
nrqed said:
Please, let's be respectful. People come here with various backgrounds and levels of study. We are here to help them.

You're right, of course. Post modified. Apologies to those adversely affected.

Likes YMMMA, nrqed and gneill
nrqed said:
How did you reach that conclusion? Explain carefully your reasoning and we will be able to point out where your mistake is. That's the best way to learn.

In the equation, the horizontal range is directly proportional to the square of intial velocity and sine theta.
So, by increasing the anle and initial velocity, horizontal raneg is to increase. That appears in the time flight formula,too. Am I wrong ?

YMMMA said:
In the equation, the horizontal range is directly proportional to the square of intial velocity and sine theta.
This is not quite right. It is proportional to sin of *twice* the angle. Theta can take what values? And over that range of value, what does the function ##\sin (2 \theta)## look like?

Likes YMMMA
nrqed said:
This is not quite right. It is proportional to sin of *twice* the angle. Theta can take what values? And over that range of value, what does the function ##\sin (2 \theta)## look like?

Doubling theta would give the same range..

TIme of Flight= 2v0sinθ/g and Horizontal Range=v02sin2θ/g
Looking at both the equations, it's easily concluded that by increasing v0 both Time of Flight and Horizontal Range will increase.
Not the tricky part is with θ.
For the given value of v0, Horizontal Range at θ and 90°-θ are equal although the time of flight is different. Why?
Because in the equation of Horizontal Range, we have sin2θ and you can check that value of sin2θ for θ=30° and θ=60° are same. Hence if v0 is also constant, then Horizontal Range for θ=30° and θ=60° will be same. So it's now clear that increasing θ will not increase Horizontal Range forever.
So out of the options present, I'll put my money on Option. C

Likes YMMMA
YMMMA said:
Doubling theta would give the same range..
If that’s right. Then, by only increasing the initial velocity, time and range would increase.

Harenderjeet Arora said:
Looking at both the equations, it's easily concluded that by increasing v0 both Time of Flight and Horizontal Range will increase.
For the given value of v0, Horizontal Range at θ and 90°-θ are equal although the time of flight is different. Why?
Because in the equation of Horizontal Range, we have sin2θ and you can check that value of sin2θ for θ=30° and θ=60° are same. Hence if v0 is also constant, then Horizontal Range for θ=30° and θ=60° will be same. So it's now clear that increasing θ will not increase Horizontal Range forever.

You’re definitely right. I was finally able to recognize this at the end. Thank you all for your efforts...

Harenderjeet Arora said:
We much prefer to help students figure out the answers rather than providing them with a full solution.

By the way, I would have preferred for the OP to realize that when we plot ##\sin(2 \theta)## from 0 to 90 degrees (the range of possible angles ##\theta##), the value of ##\sin(2 \theta)## increases as ##\theta## goes from 0 to 45 degrees but then actually decreases as ##\theta## goes from 45 to 90 degrees. So as long as the angle is below 45 degrees, we gain in range by increasing it, but past 45 degrees, we start losing in range. So the optimum angle for the range is 45 degrees. This is was I was aiming at with my guiding questions.

Likes YMMMA
nrqed said:
We much prefer to help students figure out the answers rather than providing them with a full solution.

You certainly made me able to figure out the solution. Thanks a million.

nrqed said:
I am sorry, I didn't know. Just joined the Forum now, will keep that in mind.

Harenderjeet Arora said:
I am sorry, I didn't know. Just joined the Forum now, will keep that in mind.
No problem at all! Your help will be appreciated by many students I am sure. I just wanted to give you an idea of how we work here since you just joined us. And welcome!

Likes Harenderjeet Arora

Related to Physics: Projectile Motion - Maximizing Soccer Ball Distance/Hang-Time

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does projectile motion apply to soccer balls?

Soccer balls follow the principles of projectile motion when they are kicked. The initial velocity of the ball, along with the angle at which it is kicked, will determine the path of the ball and ultimately how far it will travel and how long it will stay in the air.

3. How can we maximize the distance and hang-time of a soccer ball?

To maximize the distance and hang-time of a soccer ball, we need to optimize the launch angle and initial velocity. This can be done by finding the right balance between the two, as well as taking into account external factors such as air resistance and wind.

4. What is the ideal launch angle for a soccer ball?

The ideal launch angle for a soccer ball is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum distance and hang-time, as it balances the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's motion.

5. How can we calculate the maximum distance and hang-time of a soccer ball?

The maximum distance and hang-time of a soccer ball can be calculated using the equations of projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved using algebra or with the help of a physics calculator.