Physics Project: Cart Launcher

In summary, the goal of the project is to create a car with a launcher that uses elastic energy to hit a target 4m away. The target is a circle divided into four zones, with the bullseye receiving the highest marks. The challenge is to create a delayed spring that will launch the object after the car has reached its ideal zone and stopped moving. This cannot involve any motors and must only use elastic energy. The proposed solution is to have a timer connected to the spring, but more guidance is needed on how to implement this.
supaSPED

Homework Statement

So pretty much, the goal of the project is to create a car which has a launcher on it (elastic powered). The car starts at one zone, rolls 4m forward (for maximum marks, it has to hit 4m on the mark), then fires at the perpendicular angle from its initial direction at a dartboard type target. (This is all on the floor)

That target is a circle, in which the center is 4m away from the cart pathway. The circle itself has 4 zones (bullseye, and every zone after that, bullseye gets the highest marks).

So, the problem that i have is that we need to make a spring which is delayed. Once we let the car travel, we are no longer allowed to touch it. We also have to let the car reach its ideal zone 4m away before we can launch the object (for marks).

Not only that though, the spring shouldn't be launched while the cart is moving because that will make it innacurate. Having it launch AFTER the cart stops moving is ideal.

So due to these reasons, i need to build a spring which is delayed. As in I can set it to launch, maybe like, a minute after its initial set up.

no motors can be used. teacher wants elastic energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

So i have a pretty good idea for the car itself, just have it spring loaded to shoot for the 4m. The problem is the delayed spring. Making a spring launcher is easy, but to have it so that it is delayed is hard. I need help

Attachments

• physics pro.jpg
    physics pro.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
with how to make it so that it is delayed, or any alternatives that i can use. What I was thinking of was to have a timer somehow connected to the spring. This way when the timer hit 0, the spring would launch. However, I am not sure how this would work, and I am completely stumped on where to even start. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Physics Project: Cart Launcher

1. What is the purpose of the Physics Project: Cart Launcher?

The purpose of this project is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and conservation of energy through the construction of a device that launches a cart.

2. How does the Cart Launcher work?

The Cart Launcher works by using a spring-loaded mechanism to launch a cart. The cart is placed on a track attached to the spring, and when the spring is released, it propels the cart forward.

3. What materials are needed to build a Cart Launcher?

To build a Cart Launcher, you will need a sturdy base, a spring, a track, a cart, and some simple tools such as a hammer and screws. You may also want to use materials such as PVC pipes or wood to construct the frame and supports for the track.

4. What physics concepts are involved in the Cart Launcher?

The Cart Launcher demonstrates the concepts of projectile motion, potential and kinetic energy, and conservation of energy. The spring stores potential energy when it is compressed, which is then converted into kinetic energy to launch the cart. The cart then follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity.

5. How can the Cart Launcher project be modified or improved?

The Cart Launcher project can be modified or improved by changing the materials used, adjusting the angle of the track, or adding more complex mechanisms such as pulleys or levers. You can also vary the mass of the cart or the spring tension to see how it affects the distance and speed of the cart's launch.