Physics problem kindly explain how to arrive the answer.

In summary, two trains start at stations A and B, 6km apart, at the same time. Train A accelerates at a rate of 0.5 meters per second square until it reaches a speed of 54 kmph, while train B accelerates at a rate of 0.6 meters per second square until it reaches a speed of 72 kmph and then maintains this speed. The goal is to determine when and where the trains will cross each other. Equations for the positions of the trains at any given time are needed, with the origin at A. After solving for the equations, the answers are 225 meters at 30 seconds for train A and 333.33 meters at 33.33
herbgriffin

Homework Statement

Two trains start at the same time from stations A and B (6km apart ) respectively in opposite tracks. train A accelerates uniformly at the rate of 0.5 meter per second square until it reaches a speed of 54 kmph, while train B accelerates uniformly at the rate of 0.6 meter per second square until it reaches a speed of 72 kmph and then travels at this speed. Determine when and where both will cross each other

Homework Equations

i don't know what equation to use...

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried equating there distance but it will just complicate the equation...
please help...i would like to know how to get the answer..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi herbgriffin! :wink:

start by writing out the two equations for the positions of the two trains at any time t (put the origin, x = 0, at A) …

what do you get? :smile:

i will get train a will be 225 m at t=30s while train b is 333.33 m at t=33.33s. I don't know if this is right...

no, write two equations

always write equations!

x=15+[(1/2) (0.5)t^2] train A
x= 20+[(1/2) (0.6) t^2] train B
please correct me if i am wrong i am really confused

hi herbgriffin! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
herbgriffin said:
x=15+[(1/2) (0.5)t^2] train A
x= 20+[(1/2) (0.6) t^2] train B
please correct me if i am wrong i am really confused

your 1/2 (0.5)t2 and 1/2 (0.6)t2 parts are correct,

but i don't understand where your 15 and 20 come from :confused:

also you haven't shown them traveling in opposite directions,

and you haven't dealt with the steady motion after each trains reaches its cruising speed

Related to Physics problem kindly explain how to arrive the answer.

1. What is the best approach to solving a physics problem?

The best approach to solving a physics problem is to first understand the problem and identify what principles and equations are relevant. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and solve them one at a time. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the units and values given in the problem.

2. How do I know which equations to use in a physics problem?

To determine which equations to use, you should first identify what quantities are given and what you are trying to find. Then, refer to your notes or textbook to see which equations involve those quantities. It is also helpful to understand the concepts behind the equations so you can apply them correctly.

3. What do I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the concepts and equations involved. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller parts. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

4. How can I check my answer to a physics problem?

To check your answer to a physics problem, you can plug your calculated values back into the original equations and see if they are consistent. You can also use estimation or dimensional analysis to check if your answer is reasonable. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and units as well.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using incorrect equations, not paying attention to units, and not checking your work. It is also important to understand the concepts behind the equations and not to blindly plug in numbers. Additionally, make sure to read the problem carefully and understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it.