Physics problem involving tension and electric fields

In summary, two small spheres with masses of 4.00 g each are suspended by light strings 10.0 cm in length. The spheres have charges of -2.00 x 10^-8 C and +2.00 x 10^-8 C and are in equilibrium at an angle of θ = 15.0° when a uniform electric field is applied in the x direction. The image provided shows the setup for this problem. There may be an error with the charges as it seems only like charges can be in equilibrium, but the static electric force may be small enough to be ignored.
aaronmilk3
Two small spheres, each of mass 4.00 g, are suspended by light strings 10.0 cm in length. A uniform electric field is applied in the x direction. The spheres have charges equal to -2.00 multiplied by 10^-8 C and +2.00 multiplied by 10^-8 C. Determine the electric field that enables the spheres to be in equilibrium at an angle of θ = 15.0°.

Here is a link to the image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/lackofrespect/p23-62.gif

m1 = 4.00g
m2 = 4.00g
θ = 15.0°

I thought I might use E = (k|q||q|)/r²

I'm confused about the charges on the two spheres. How are they apart if they have opposite charges? Shouldn't it be that only like charges can repel and be in equilibrium?

Any help would be great to get me started.Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi aaronmilk3! welcome to pf! :wink:
aaronmilk3 said:
I'm confused about the charges on the two spheres. How are they apart if they have opposite charges? Shouldn't it be that only like charges can repel and be in equilibrium?

Any help would be great to get me started.Thank you.

hmm … that is odd! :redface:

i'll guess that the static electric force is so small that it can be ignored …

does that work? :smile:

This is a problem from Web Assign which is a website you are assigned homework through. I'm wondering if there is an error and both charges should have been positive.

Related to Physics problem involving tension and electric fields

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of flexible material when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a measure of the pulling force that is being applied to the material.

2. How is tension related to electric fields?

In physics problems involving tension and electric fields, tension is often used to represent the force that is acting on a charged particle due to the electric field. This force is known as the electrostatic force and it is directly proportional to the electric field strength and the charge of the particle.

3. Can tension affect the motion of a charged particle in an electric field?

Yes, tension can affect the motion of a charged particle in an electric field. If the particle is attached to a string or rope and the tension in that string changes, the direction and speed of the particle's motion will also change. This is because the electrostatic force acting on the particle is directly related to the tension in the string.

4. How can I calculate tension in a physics problem involving electric fields?

To calculate tension in a physics problem involving electric fields, you will need to use the formula T = kqE, where T is the tension, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field strength. This formula assumes that the particle is attached to the string and is being pulled by the tension force.

5. Can tension and electric fields cancel each other out?

Yes, in certain situations, tension and electric fields can cancel each other out. This can happen when the electrostatic force and the tension force acting on a charged particle are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. In this case, the particle will remain at rest and will not move in the electric field.