Physics Problem, cant find mistake, okz help

In summary, the magnitude of the average net force on the stunt double as she hits the landing pad is -2.73kN (-2730N rounded). The calculation can also be done using the impulse momentum theorem, which yields the same result.
Ion1776
Here is the Problem: For a movie scene, an 85.0 kg stunt double falls 12.0 m from a building onto a large inflated landing pad. After touching the landing pad surface, it takes her 0.477 s to come to a stop. What is the magnitude of the average net force on her as the landing pad stops her?

IS THIS CORRECT, wheres the mistake?

First, find the speed of the stunt woman as she hits the landing pad:

v² = v₀² + 2gΔy
= 0 + 2(-9.80m/s²)(-12.0m)
v = 15.3m/s

Now, the rate of acceleration required to bring her to a stop is:

a = Δv / Δt
= (v - v₀) / t
= (0 - 15.3m/s) / 0.477s
= -32.1m/s²

So, the force that stops her is:

F = ma
= 85.0kg(-32.1m/s²)
= -2.73kN (-2730N rounded)

You could also use the impulse momentum theorem:

FΔt = Δp
F = Δp / Δt
= [mv(f) - mv(i)] / t
= m[v(f) - v(i)] / t
= 85.0kg(0 - 15.3m/s) / 0.477s
= -2730N (rounded)

Please give a through answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Ion1776 said:
Here is the Problem: For a movie scene, an 85.0 kg stunt double falls 12.0 m from a building onto a large inflated landing pad. After touching the landing pad surface, it takes her 0.477 s to come to a stop. What is the magnitude of the average net force on her as the landing pad stops her?

IS THIS CORRECT, wheres the mistake?

First, find the speed of the stunt woman as she hits the landing pad:

v² = v₀² + 2gΔy
= 0 + 2(-9.80m/s²)(-12.0m)
v = 15.3m/s

Now, the rate of acceleration required to bring her to a stop is:

a = Δv / Δt
= (v - v₀) / t
= (0 - 15.3m/s) / 0.477s
= -32.1m/s²

So, the force that stops her is:

F = ma
= 85.0kg(-32.1m/s²)
= -2.73kN (-2730N rounded)

You could also use the impulse momentum theorem:

FΔt = Δp
F = Δp / Δt
= [mv(f) - mv(i)] / t
= m[v(f) - v(i)] / t
= 85.0kg(0 - 15.3m/s) / 0.477s
= -2730N (rounded)

Please give a through answer

Your first method looks okay to me (didn't check the 2nd). I would call the force positive, though, since it's pointing up to decelerate her...

Your calculations and use of equations seem to be correct. However, there are a few minor mistakes that could have been made while inputting the values into the calculator or rounding off the final answer. It is always important to double check your calculations and make sure that the units are consistent throughout. Additionally, the negative sign in the final answer indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion, which could be misinterpreted if not properly stated. Overall, your approach to solving the problem is correct and there are no major mistakes. Great job!

Related to Physics Problem, cant find mistake, okz help

1. How can I identify my mistake in a physics problem?

One way to identify a mistake in a physics problem is to check your calculations and make sure you used the correct equations and units. You can also try re-solving the problem using a different approach or asking for help from a classmate or teacher.

2. What should I do if I can't find a mistake in my physics problem?

If you have checked your calculations and still can't find a mistake, try stepping back and looking at the problem from a different perspective. It may help to draw a diagram or make a list of known variables and equations. You can also ask for help from a tutor or professor.

3. How can I prevent making mistakes in physics problems?

To prevent making mistakes in physics problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Make sure to use the correct equations and units, and double check your calculations. Practice and repetition can also help improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Is it common to make mistakes in physics problems?

Yes, it is common to make mistakes in physics problems. Physics is a complex subject and even small errors in calculations or using the wrong equations can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully check your work and ask for help if needed.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving them individually. You can also try looking for similar problems in your textbook or online for guidance. If you still can't solve the problem, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.