Physics problem: body heat loss via radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a physics homework problem and requests for assistance. The original poster initially posted the work sideways and later corrected it. However, it was still sideways for others, prompting suggestions to take a screenshot and attach it. It was also noted that this was a duplicate of another thread and the two were merged. Finally, the question is clarified as asking for the expansion of T plus or minus delta T.
crystal1001
Homework Statement
A student is trying to decide what to wear. His bedroom is at 20°C. His skin temperature is 35°C. The area of his exposed skin is 1.50 m2. People of all races have skin that is dark in the infrared, with emissivity about 0.900. Find the net energy loss from his body by radiation in 10.0 min.
Relevant Equations
q = ε σ T4 A
σ = 5.6703 10-8 (W/m2K4) - The Stefan-Boltzmann Constant
I do not know where I am doing wrong. I asked a tutor, he said I was doing it correctly.
Below is my work. Please help!

Net loss by radiation in 10.0 mins is 74.8 kJ

Attachments

• 20191107_122823.jpg
    20191107_122823.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20191107_122903.jpg
    20191107_122903.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 112
Physics news on Phys.org
So, you are asking for the favor of someone checking your homework and you're going to make it hard for them by posting it sideways? Doesn't really seem like a good idea.

corrected it.

Likes phinds
crystal1001 said:
corrected it.
It's still sideways for me. Maybe try taking a screenshot of it after you rotate it, and attach the screenshot. I'll try to do that now...

Here's the work picture rotated and contrast-enhanced. I'll look to see if we should merge the duplicate thread...

1573149650680.png

What's the expansion of T plus (or minus) delta T?

Related to Physics problem: body heat loss via radiation

1. What is body heat loss via radiation?

Body heat loss via radiation is the process by which a human body releases heat through electromagnetic waves. These waves are produced by the body's molecules and are emitted into the surrounding environment.

2. How does body heat loss via radiation affect our body temperature?

Body heat loss via radiation can have a significant impact on our body temperature. When the temperature of the environment is lower than our body temperature, we lose heat through radiation, causing our body temperature to decrease. On the other hand, when the temperature of the environment is higher than our body temperature, we absorb heat through radiation, causing our body temperature to increase.

3. What factors affect body heat loss via radiation?

Several factors can influence body heat loss via radiation, including the temperature and humidity of the environment, the size and surface area of the body, and the type of clothing or insulation being worn. Additionally, certain medical conditions or medications can also affect our body's ability to regulate heat loss through radiation.

4. How can we reduce body heat loss via radiation?

There are several ways to reduce body heat loss via radiation. One way is to wear appropriate clothing, such as layers of clothing or insulated materials, to provide a barrier between our body and the environment. Another way is to find shelter or increase physical activity to generate more heat and maintain body temperature. Additionally, consuming warm foods or drinks can also help to regulate body temperature and reduce heat loss through radiation.

5. What is the role of body heat loss via radiation in thermoregulation?

Body heat loss via radiation plays a crucial role in thermoregulation, which is the body's ability to maintain a stable internal temperature. When our body temperature rises, we release heat through radiation to cool down. Similarly, when our body temperature drops, we retain heat through radiation to stay warm. Overall, body heat loss via radiation is an essential mechanism for our body to maintain a healthy temperature balance.