Physics PhD: industry jobs abroad

In summary: National labs are great places to work - they offer good pay and excellent benefits. However, they are not always the best place to work if you want to move on to a more senior position. National labs are geared towards doing research and development - they are not always interested in hiring people who will be taking over the jobs of the researchers who are leaving.Maybe management consultancy would be a better fit? Yes, that may be a good fit. Management consultancy is a growing field, and it's one that is likely to keep growing in the future.Finding a job in management consultancy will not be easy, but it's not impossible. You may have to look online or contact a professional placement agency.Finding a job
Calchas
Hi guys, I did have a search through the forum but I didn't find anything quite like my question. Perhaps someone might offer me some advice.

I'm a UK physics PhD student, with about 18 months before I graduate (in principle). At this point I am beginning to get a little fed up of academia and I think that this sort of life is not for me. I have no firm plans at the moment, but suffice it to say that I'm considering careers in oil and gas, other industry, or perhaps even something as left-field as management consultancy.

In any event, my priority is to move abroad for a few years, preferably to the United States.

The main issue I think here is visa issues: I am a British citizen and (so far as I can deduce) currently ineligible for US citizenship.

I am aware that some employers will sponsor a foreigner. Unfortunately the only places I know who will do this for someone in my rather junior position are the US national labs, which is less than ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with making this sort of a move?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need citizenship - you only need a work visa for now, and if you want to stay you would need to obtain a "green card" ... which requires that you have a job. Your employer will obtain the visa for you if they want you.

So first you need to find a job.

Why do you think oil and gas would be a good fit? You want to fit your skills to the employer; computer skills are widely needed, so extensive computer modelling and high performance computing may be attractive to oil and gas, especially if you have some geological physics.

Or if you have solid state fabrication experience - clean room, etc - then silicon valley always has jobs.

I have known many young scientists who spent a few years in the national labs, then went on into industry. The experience beyond the university can be very valuable.

Calchas said:
Hi guys, I did have a search through the forum but I didn't find anything quite like my question. Perhaps someone might offer me some advice.

I'm a UK physics PhD student, with about 18 months before I graduate (in principle). At this point I am beginning to get a little fed up of academia and I think that this sort of life is not for me. I have no firm plans at the moment, but suffice it to say that I'm considering careers in oil and gas, other industry, or perhaps even something as left-field as management consultancy.

In any event, my priority is to move abroad for a few years, preferably to the United States.

The main issue I think here is visa issues: I am a British citizen and (so far as I can deduce) currently ineligible for US citizenship.

I am aware that some employers will sponsor a foreigner. Unfortunately the only places I know who will do this for someone in my rather junior position are the US national labs, which is less than ideal.

Does anyone have any experience with making this sort of a move?

Thanks for reading.

Why are national labs less than deal? I work at one, it's great fun.

Related to Physics PhD: industry jobs abroad

1. What types of jobs can I get abroad with a Physics PhD?

As a physics PhD, you can work in a variety of industries abroad, including research and development, technology, engineering, energy, and consulting. You can also find opportunities in government agencies, academic institutions, and international organizations.

2. Can I work in a different country with a Physics PhD from my home country?

Yes, a physics PhD is highly valued and recognized globally. Many countries have a shortage of qualified physicists, making it easier for international students to find job opportunities abroad. However, it is important to research the specific visa and work permit requirements for the country you are interested in working in.

3. How can I enhance my chances of getting a job abroad with a Physics PhD?

To enhance your chances of getting a job abroad with a physics PhD, it is important to gain relevant work experience and develop specialized skills in your field of interest. Networking with professionals in your industry and attending international conferences can also help you make connections and increase your visibility in the job market.

4. Are there any language requirements for working abroad with a Physics PhD?

The language requirements may vary depending on the country and the specific job you are applying for. Some countries may require proficiency in the local language, while others may prioritize proficiency in English. It is important to research the language requirements for the country and job you are interested in.

5. How can I find job opportunities abroad with a Physics PhD?

You can search for job opportunities abroad through online job portals, professional networking platforms, and the websites of international organizations and companies in your field of interest. You can also reach out to your university's career center or alumni network for potential job leads and recommendations.