Physics or engineering? Going into university this fall and still unsure

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between majoring in physics or engineering. They are unsure if engineering is the right choice for them, and they are considering getting a BS in physics and then a MS in mechanical engineering. The other person advises that they can get their "science fix" through an advanced degree in engineering and that it won't matter which they choose for the first two years. They also mention the difficulties of finding a job with a physics degree and the importance of maintaining a high GPA. The speaker is urged to not worry about their decision now and to let their love for physics guide them.
brymcfly21
So I will be entering my big state U in two weeks as a freshman. I have down physics as my major because I have such a passion for the sciences and math however I am very torn if this is a right choice. I applied to my schools engineering school for the spring semester yet look through job postings on my local area, Mechanical Engineering jobs do not seem very intriguing (After receiving a scholarship a lady gave me a card for an internship at a place that makes screws-not very science driven career I always thought I would be in). I feel as though I would love doing research or at least pursuing a career that was strongly science driven. Should I get a bs in physics and then a ms in mechanical engineering ? Or just go straight into a bs in engineering . I gave the first option that way I can get my science fix during school but then get the masters for job prospect reasons. Any advice on what I should do? I feel as though the life as an engineer isn't as exciting as most people expect them to be.

Likes HaSnain145
Physics news on Phys.org
Do physics. Career in medical physics.

adjoint+ said:
Do physics. Career in medical physics.
Why? Without an explanation, we might as well advice the OP to become a baker or a sociologist.

To the OP: I think engineers do a lot more than supervising screw production, which could already be a non-trivial process by itself. Especially if you continue for an advanced degree (such as a PhD) in engineering, I am sure you will be able to get your "science fix" as well. More in particular, I believe that the main difference between the two professions is that a scientist mostly analyzes while an engineer mostly synthesizes, but of course lots of people do both. (In my opinion, this combination is also the most interesting.)

Krylov said:
Why? Without an explanation, we might as well advice the OP to become a baker or a sociologist.

To the OP: I think engineers do a lot more than supervising screw production, which could already be a non-trivial process by itself. Especially if you continue for an advanced degree (such as a PhD) in engineering, I am sure you will be able to get your "science fix" as well. More in particular, I believe that the main difference between the two professions is that a scientist mostly analyzes while an engineer mostly synthesizes, but of course lots of people do both. (In my opinion, this combination is also the most interesting.)

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying go for engineering? I honestly love the advantages physics will give me at the undergraduate level even if I such as teaching me how to think and gaining research skills and then getting a master's in engineering. That way I can learn the "why" in physics and the "how" in engineering. And also it supports your claim about an advance degree in engineering will give me my science fix. Do you think a bs physics and ms engineering would suffice? My university's engineering grad school accepts physics majors. Thank you again for reading !

Truthfully, it really won't matter for your first two years as both programs probably have nearly identical freshman and sophomore class requirements. In your sophomore year, you can re-evaluate your options. I really liked physics, but I ended up becoming an EE, but truthfully, I was not academically inclined enough to succeed as a physics major. A graduating Engineering major can get work even with a less than stellar GPA. A physics graduate? Well, they need a 3+ GPA to even think about graduate school, and if they enter the work force with a BS in Physics (and a mediocre GPA), they often struggle just to get that FIRST job. You can read about the difficulties the Physics degreed graduate with a low GPA has on this website as well as others (although, I wouldn't be to heavily discouraged, just forewarned).
And getting a low grade here or there is an almost certainty for many STEM majors. Everyone seems to have that one semester where they took to many rough courses (often called weed out classes) that test a person's resolve to stay at it. Your love of physics might help you to remain a physics major or an internship or other event may steer you onto engineering or even some other profession. But you certainly do not have to concern yourself with these decisions today.

CalcNerd said:
Truthfully, it really won't matter for your first two years as both programs probably have nearly identical freshman and sophomore class requirements. In your sophomore year, you can re-evaluate your options. I really liked physics, but I ended up becoming an EE, but truthfully, I was not academically inclined enough to succeed as a physics major. A graduating Engineering major can get work even with a less than stellar GPA. A physics graduate? Well, they need a 3+ GPA to even think about graduate school, and if they enter the work force with a BS in Physics (and a mediocre GPA), they often struggle just to get that FIRST job. You can read about the difficulties the Physics degreed graduate with a low GPA has on this website as well as others (although, I wouldn't be to heavily discouraged, just forewarned).
And getting a low grade here or there is an almost certainty for many STEM majors. Everyone seems to have that one semester where they took to many rough courses (often called weed out classes) that test a person's resolve to stay at it. Your love of physics might help you to remain a physics major or an internship or other event may steer you onto engineering or even some other profession. But you certainly do not have to concern yourself with these decisions today.

I just feel like if I don't choose now I will be a little behind since the freshman and sophomore courses for engineers already consist of engineering classes rather than core classes. Also it is very hard to get into my schools engineering program so I was that's why I applied right away so I wouldn't have to worry about getting in in the near future.

brymcfly21 said:
Thanks for the reply. So are you saying go for engineering?
You are welcome. I am not saying that you should go for engineering, but I did want to point out that I believe that a degree in engineering can also help you satisfy your "science cravings".

brymcfly21 said:
I honestly love the advantages physics will give me at the undergraduate level even if I such as teaching me how to think and gaining research skills and then getting a master's in engineering. That way I can learn the "why" in physics and the "how" in engineering. And also it supports your claim about an advance degree in engineering will give me my science fix. Do you think a bs physics and ms engineering would suffice? My university's engineering grad school accepts physics majors. Thank you again for reading !

I do not live in the US and I am not that familiar with your education system. For that, post #5 may be more relevant. I think that post #7 (and specially the link therein) is also very much to the point. As a corollary to these two posts, I would conclude that it does not matter too much what you choose now, unless you feel a very specific need to explore foundational topics in physics (such as general relativity) that are not typically encountered in engineering courses. Assuming you do not feel such a need at this point, I would advise you to follow what your heart tells you and find out along the way which particular direction is most appealing.

Krylov said:
You are welcome. I am not saying that you should go for engineering, but I did want to point out that I believe that a degree in engineering can also help you satisfy your "science cravings".
I do not live in the US and I am not that familiar with your education system. For that, post #5 may be more relevant. I think that post #7 (and specially the link therein) is also very much to the point. As a corollary to these two posts, I would conclude that it does not matter too much what you choose now, unless you feel a very specific need to explore foundational topics in physics (such as general relativity) that are not typically encountered in engineering courses. Assuming you do not feel such a need at this point, I would advise you to follow what your heart tells you and find out along the way which particular direction is most appealing.

Yeah I was planning on continuing my physics education and possibly take engineering related classes like zz said and if I like it I'll do a master's in engineering. Thank you !

Likes S.G. Janssens
brymcfly21 said:
I applied to my schools engineering school for the spring semester yet look through job postings on my local area, Mechanical Engineering jobs do not seem very intriguing...
Have you looked through job postings for physics grads and company?

Have you considered:
1. How much education you need/want for each?
2. Competitiveness/employment prospects?
3. Salary?
4. If there is a difference between a job, a career and a passion?

Likes billy_joule
russ_watters said:
Have you looked through job postings for physics grads and company?

Have you considered:
1. How much education you need/want for each?
2. Competitiveness/employment prospects?
3. Salary?
4. If there is a difference between a job, a career and a passion?

I honestly have not ruled out going for a Phd in physics. Any there actually aren't too many job postings for physics grads. And I do consider salary to be important.

Related to Physics or engineering? Going into university this fall and still unsure

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding and explaining the fundamental principles of the universe. On the other hand, engineering applies scientific knowledge to design, build, and improve structures, machines, systems, and processes to solve real-world problems. In simpler terms, physics is more theoretical, while engineering is more practical.

2. Which one should I choose, physics or engineering?

The answer to this question depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about understanding the fundamental laws that govern the universe, then physics may be the right choice for you. However, if you enjoy applying scientific principles to create innovative solutions to real-world problems, then engineering may be a better fit. It is also worth considering that many engineering fields require a strong foundation in physics, so it is possible to pursue both.

3. Is one subject more challenging than the other?

Both physics and engineering can be challenging in their own ways. Physics requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and can be highly theoretical. Engineering, on the other hand, involves practical applications and may require hands-on skills and problem-solving abilities. The level of difficulty also depends on the individual's strengths and interests.

4. Can I switch between physics and engineering majors?

It is possible to switch between physics and engineering majors, but it may require additional coursework or time. Some universities also offer combined programs where students can study both subjects simultaneously. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics and engineering graduates?

Physics and engineering are both versatile fields with various career opportunities. Physics graduates can pursue careers in research, academia, and industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare. Engineering graduates can work in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, construction, technology, and transportation. Some common job titles for engineering graduates include mechanical engineer, civil engineer, and electrical engineer.