Physics or Computer Science? Starting college late and I welcome your opinions

In summary, the speaker is 25 years old and starting school after being in the Air Force for 6 years. They are interested in both Physics and Computer Science, but are leaning towards Physics despite potential challenges with math. They are considering a double major to keep their options open for either a job or pursuing a PhD. Seeking advice and opinions on how to structure their first year of studies.
DeRecked
Hi all!

BLUF: I'm starting school rather late (I'm 25) and I'm very interested in Physics and Computer Science. Logically, CS seems like a better fit for me due to my hobbies, but my heart is set on Physics.

BACKGROUND: I'm just now starting school at 25 after being in the Air Force for the past 6 years and 4 months. I'm "good enough" at math but after 6 years away from it, I'm being forced to pretty much start over at the Algebra level. I love Physics but I also love computers (hence, the interest in CS as well). I'm afraid that if I pursue Physics, I'll end up with my PhD at some point in my mid-thirties (it might take me an extra semester or two just to catch up on my math). This isn't necessarily a problem but it doesn't sound ideal either. I know work with a B.S. in Physics is possible but, again, not ideal since I'm interested in original research.

As far as CS is concerned, I spend quite a lot of time playing with computers and other technology, so logically it seems to line up w/ my hobbies more than Physics does. I feel like the benefit of CS is that it would be easier for me to get a decent job doing what I want with just a B.S. in CS vs just a B.S. in Physics.

Sorry for the long post, but your feedback and opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could talk to someone wherever you are applying to find out if you can structure your first year so that your options remain open until 2nd year of your degree? That way you'd be able to make a more informed choice.

Do a double major. Go through 4 years majoring in Physics and Computer science thus keeping your option open. If by the end of your degree, you feel that getting a job is more important, then you'll have your CS degree to help you out. If you feel that you really want your PhD, go that route.

Related to Physics or Computer Science? Starting college late and I welcome your opinions

1. What is the difference between Physics and Computer Science?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Computer Science, on the other hand, is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of computers and computational systems. It involves designing and developing software, hardware, and applications using programming languages.

2. Which major is more challenging: Physics or Computer Science?

Both Physics and Computer Science can be challenging in their own ways. Physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of abstract concepts, while Computer Science requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on the individual student's strengths and interests.

3. Is it too late to start college and major in Physics or Computer Science?

No, it is never too late to start college and pursue a degree in Physics or Computer Science. Many people start college later in life and have successful careers in these fields. It's important to stay motivated and committed to your studies, and seek support from professors and peers when needed.

4. What are the career opportunities for a Physics or Computer Science major?

There are a variety of career opportunities for both Physics and Computer Science majors. Physics graduates can work in fields such as research, engineering, education, and finance. Computer Science graduates can work in software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, and many other industries. Both majors also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in related fields.

5. How can I decide between majoring in Physics or Computer Science?

Choosing between Physics and Computer Science can be a difficult decision. It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You can also talk to professors, current students, and professionals in both fields to gain insight and perspective. It's also possible to double major or minor in both subjects to gain a well-rounded education.