Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration

In summary, after how much time will the particle first return to the origin? The maximum distance between the particle and the origin is 4.00 meters.
bazookajason

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 2.00 kg moves under a force given by
F~ = −(8.00 N/m)(xˆi + yˆj)
whereˆi and ˆj are unit vectors in the x and y directions. The particle is placed at the origin with an initial velocity~v = (3.00 m/s)ˆi + (4.00 m/s)ˆj.

a. After how much time will the particle first return to the origin?
b. What is the maximum distance between the particle and the origin?

Homework Equations

f=ma
x=vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using f=ma, i find the acceleration to be a=-4x i + -4y j
Using x=vt+1/2at^2, if i set x as 0
So i get 0=3t+1/2(-4x)t^2 and 0=4t+1/2(-4y)t^2
I solve those 2 equtaions to get 3y=4x
but i don't know where to continue

Physics news on Phys.org
bazookajason said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 2.00 kg moves under a force given by
F~ = −(8.00 N/m)(xˆi + yˆj)
whereˆi and ˆj are unit vectors in the x and y directions. The particle is placed at the origin with an initial velocity~v = (3.00 m/s)ˆi + (4.00 m/s)ˆj.

a. After how much time will the particle first return to the origin?
b. What is the maximum distance between the particle and the origin?

Homework Equations

f=ma
x=vt+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using f=ma, i find the acceleration to be a=-4x i + -4y j
Using x=vt+1/2at^2, if i set x as 0
So i get 0=3t+1/2(-4x)t^2 and 0=4t+1/2(-4y)t^2
I solve those 2 equations to get 3y=4x
but i don't know where to continue
The equation
x=vt+(1/2)at2
has 2 big problems.
1. It's only true for uniform (constant) acceleration. The acceleration here is not constant.

2. Even if the acceleration were constant you should only have included x components.​

hm do i use calculus?
a= derivative of x

anyone?

from here.

First, you have correctly calculated the acceleration of the particle to be a = -4x ˆi + -4y ˆj. To find the time it takes for the particle to return to the origin, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Since the final velocity is zero when the particle returns to the origin, you can set v = 0 and solve for t. This will give you the time it takes for the particle to return to the origin.

To find the maximum distance between the particle and the origin, you can use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the distance, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can use the same value of t that you calculated in the previous part to find the maximum distance. This will give you the maximum displacement of the particle from the origin.

Related to Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration

1. What is the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration?

The Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration is a competitive physics event where students from different countries compete by solving challenging problems related to vector acceleration.

2. Who can participate in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration?

The Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration is open to high school students who have a strong interest and knowledge in physics. Each country has its own selection process for choosing participants.

3. What are the topics covered in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration?

The topics covered in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration include vector algebra, kinematics, projectile motion, forces, and Newton's laws of motion.

4. What skills are required to excel in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration?

To excel in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration, students need to have a strong understanding of vector algebra, problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a good knowledge of physics concepts and principles.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration?

Participating in the Physics Olympiad Vector Acceleration can improve students' problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and knowledge of physics. It also provides a platform for students to showcase their talent and compete with other students from different countries.