Physics of Propulsion: Learn About Space Travel Tech

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of current propulsion systems for space launches and the desire for a new, more efficient system. The poster is looking for resources to learn more about space propulsion, specifically theories and mathematics. Suggestions are given for alternative propulsion methods, such as ion propulsion and hall effect propulsion. This type of propulsion offers more efficiency but produces less thrust.
VyRianS
Hey all, first time poster.

I have had a long-standing interest in astrophysics and space-related travel. I read a lot about such topics during my free time and from what I've read, only reaction mass (rocket) engines are currently possible for earth-to-space launches. This gets both inpractical and troublesome due to the exponential growth of reaction mass needed.

A new propulsion system that could circumvent such a limitation would be incredible. Space launches would be simpler and way cheaper (currently at $10,000 per pound).

Does anyone have good starting materials for a student to learn more about space propulsion (theories/mathematics... everything)?

Physics news on Phys.org
VyRianS said:
Hey all, first time poster.

I have had a long-standing interest in astrophysics and space-related travel. I read a lot about such topics during my free time and from what I've read, only reaction mass (rocket) engines are currently possible for earth-to-space launches. This gets both inpractical and troublesome due to the exponential growth of reaction mass needed.

A new propulsion system that could circumvent such a limitation would be incredible. Space launches would be simpler and way cheaper (currently at $10,000 per pound).

Does anyone have good starting materials for a student to learn more about space propulsion (theories/mathematics... everything)?
Welcome to Physics forums. The http://www.grc.nasa.gov"

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
2 types of propulsion used in space other than chemical rockets are ion propulsion and the hall effect propulsion. both are forms of ion propulsion. they offer more bang for the buck. but their is a drawback. they only produce a small amount of thrust, however they can run more than 100 times longer than chemical rockets on the same weight of fuel. deff something worth reading about.

Related to Physics of Propulsion: Learn About Space Travel Tech

1. What is the physics behind space travel?

The physics behind space travel involves the principles of mechanics, specifically the laws of motion and gravity. Rockets use Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is achieved by expelling hot gas out of the back of the rocket, propelling it forward. Additionally, rockets use the law of gravity to escape Earth's gravitational pull and enter orbit.

2. How do rockets achieve escape velocity?

Rockets achieve escape velocity by using powerful engines and burning large amounts of fuel. Escape velocity is the speed at which an object must travel to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body. For Earth, this speed is about 11.2 km/s. Once a rocket reaches this speed, it can continue to travel away from Earth without being pulled back by gravity.

3. What is the role of thrust in space travel?

Thrust is the force that propels a rocket forward and enables it to overcome the force of gravity. In space travel, thrust is produced by the rocket's engines, which expel hot gas at high speeds. The greater the thrust, the faster the rocket can accelerate and the more weight it can carry. Thrust is crucial for achieving escape velocity and maintaining a stable orbit.

4. How does the shape of a rocket affect its performance?

The shape of a rocket is important in achieving efficient and stable flight. The most common shape for rockets is a long, narrow cylinder with a pointed tip. This shape minimizes air resistance and allows the rocket to travel at high speeds. Additionally, the shape of the rocket's nozzle can affect the direction and efficiency of the exhaust, which can impact the rocket's overall performance.

5. What are some alternative propulsion methods for space travel?

Aside from traditional chemical rockets, there are several alternative propulsion methods being researched for space travel. Some of these include ion thrusters, which use electricity to accelerate ions and achieve high speeds, and solar sails, which use the pressure of light to propel a spacecraft forward. Other potential propulsion methods being explored include nuclear propulsion, laser propulsion, and antimatter propulsion.