Physics of man breaking arm falling into pool

In summary, the physics of the scene in the movie Get Him to the Greek where an actor falls into a pool and breaks his arm by hitting it on the concrete edge can be calculated using the equation for average impact force. The height of the fall can be determined by using the equation for height of fall. The calculated impact force is greater than the force needed to break an arm, indicating that the physics in this situation are accurate. The impact interval, or the duration of the fall, is estimated to be less than 1 second, as it is not possible to accurately calculate the exact impact time.
hexum

Homework Statement

I am figuring out the physics of the scene in the movie Get Him to the Greek where an actor falls into a pool but breaks his arm by hitting it on the concrete edge.

Mass of actor = 73 kg
Mass of arm = 4.75 kg

Force to break an arm = 73 N

Duration of fall = 3.0 s

Homework Equations

average impact force = m* V/dT

height of fall = 1/2*9.8*3.02 = 44.1 m

The Attempt at a Solution

F = m V/dT = m sqrt(2gH)/dT = 4.75*sqrt(2*9.8*(44.1))/1 = 214.6

Because 214.6 N is obviously greater than 73 N, which is the force to break an arm, then the physics in this situation seem to be good. However, I am confused on how to calculate dT. As you can see, it is 1 in the equation, but I do not see why it is not 3, which is the total time of the fall. I am told that this is the "impact interval." How exactly am I suppose to calculate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that 1 is an initial assumption since I don't think you can get the actual impact time. But you can see that the impact time would be less than 1 second. So the impact force at dT<1 would be greater than the force at dT = 1.

Related to Physics of man breaking arm falling into pool

1. What causes a person's arm to break when falling into a pool?

When a person falls into a pool, their arm may break due to a combination of several factors. The initial impact of the fall can cause a sudden force on the arm, resulting in a fracture. Additionally, the force of the water against the arm can also contribute to the break. The angle at which the person falls and the depth of the water can also play a role in the severity of the injury.

2. How does the speed of the fall affect the likelihood of a broken arm?

The speed at which a person falls into a pool can greatly impact the likelihood of a broken arm. The faster the fall, the greater the force of the impact on the arm. This force can cause more severe fractures or even multiple fractures. Slower falls may still result in a broken arm, but the injury may be less severe.

3. Is a person's weight a factor in the physics of breaking an arm while falling into a pool?

Yes, a person's weight can definitely play a role in the physics of breaking an arm while falling into a pool. Heavier individuals will have more mass, which means a greater force of impact when they hit the water. This can result in a more severe fracture compared to a lighter individual falling from the same height.

4. Can the position of a person's body when falling affect the likelihood of a broken arm?

Absolutely. The position of a person's body when falling into a pool can greatly impact the likelihood of a broken arm. For example, if a person falls with their arm stretched out in front of them, the force of impact on their arm will be greater compared to if their arm was tucked in by their side. The angle at which the person hits the water can also play a role in the severity of the injury.

5. Are there any precautions that can be taken to prevent a broken arm when falling into a pool?

Yes, there are some precautions that can be taken to reduce the risk of a broken arm when falling into a pool. One of the most effective ways is to ensure that the pool has the appropriate depth for the height at which the person may fall. Additionally, being mindful of body positioning and trying to land in a more "squatting" position can also help to distribute the force of impact more evenly and reduce the likelihood of a broken arm.