Physics of Conductors: Understanding Electric Fields and Surface Charge Density

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrostatic equilibrium in conductors and how to calculate the electric field in a non-electrostatic equilibrium. It also touches on the relationship between surface charge density and the radius of curvature of an irregularly shaped conductor. The expert suggests not focusing on individual charge interactions and instead understanding how excess charges position themselves to minimize repulsive forces. They also mention the importance of the surface being perpendicular to the electric field in a state of equilibrium. Additionally, a diagram is suggested to help explain these concepts.
ilanwamh
Physics - Conductors?

Hi, I am currently enrolling Engineering first year and encountered a physics conceptual problem. Please explain to me please, thanks in advance

1. Does conductors have to be in electrostatic equilibrium? if not, how do you calculate the electric field of a non-electrostatic equilibrium conductors?

2. What does it mean by: "On an irregularly shaped conductor, the surface charge density is greatest at locations where the radius of curvature of the surface is smallest"?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Tell us your understanding as it relates to electrostatic equilibrium.

2) The charge they are talking about have the same magnitude. Therefore on a flat surface the charges would repel each other. This repulsion force is directed parallel to the surface. Does that help?

Last edited:
To be honest, I have having difficult visualizing conductor, insulator, and conductor electrostatic equilibrium. I know that as for conductor, electrons are freely to move around... But doesn't that disrupt the entire system since electrons are moving and it keeps on attracting protons and repelling proton. I am really confused. A diagram to explain these three would be appreicated.

Thanks

ranger said:
The charge they are talking about have the same magnitude. Therefore on a flat surface the charges would repel each other. This repulsion force is directed parallel to the surface. Does that help?

Sorry, I still don't get it, what does it have to do with the density and the radius of curvature of the surface is smallest?

Thanks

ilanwamh said:
To be honest, I have having difficult visualizing conductor, insulator, and conductor electrostatic equilibrium. I know that as for conductor, electrons are freely to move around... But doesn't that disrupt the entire system since electrons are moving and it keeps on attracting protons and repelling proton. I am really confused. A diagram to explain these three would be appreicated.

Thanks
Do not think about the localized effects individual charge interactions; they will only confuse you.

When a conductor is in electrostatic equilibrium, the excess charges [on the surface] have positioned themselves in such away as to minimize the repulsive forces. In a state of equilibrium there is no movement of charge on the surface. At this state of equilibrium, the electric field below the surface is zero. At this point the e-field at the surface is perpendicular to the surface.

Last edited:
ilanwamh said:
Sorry, I still don't get it, what does it have to do with the density and the radius of curvature of the surface is smallest?

Thanks

Draw a picture with repulsive forces directed along the path connecting the electrons. If you have a straight surface the charges would be evenly spaced. Because of the flat surface the repulsive force is parallel to the surface. Now add some irregularities in the surface (such as bumps); how are electrons affecting each other now?

Last edited:
Okay, I guess I won't try and visualize it... because I thought those diagrams in the book would help explain lol, but I guess they don't.

Thanks for helping rangers =)

Related to Physics of Conductors: Understanding Electric Fields and Surface Charge Density

1. What is a conductor?

A conductor in physics is a material that allows for the flow of electrical current. This is due to the presence of free electrons that are able to move through the material.

2. What are some examples of conductors?

Some examples of conductors include metals such as copper, silver, and gold. Other examples include water, graphite, and human tissue.

3. How do conductors differ from insulators?

While conductors allow for the flow of electrical current, insulators do not. Insulators have tightly bound electrons that are not able to move freely, therefore preventing the flow of electricity.

4. What is the role of conductors in electricity?

Conductors play a crucial role in electricity as they allow for the flow of electric charges. This is essential in various electrical devices and systems, such as circuits and power grids.

5. How do conductors affect the movement of heat?

Conductors are also able to conduct heat, meaning they can transfer thermal energy from one object to another. This is why metals, which are good conductors, feel cold to the touch even at room temperature.