Physics Newbie - Newtons 1st Law - Frames of References & Observers

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's Laws of Motion and the concept of reference frames. The first law states that objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. A reference frame is where an observer carries out measurements, and all inertial frames are equally valid. The conversation also discusses the relationship between inertial and non-inertial frames of reference and how they can be used to describe different observations.
SQLMAN
Hi All
Let me start by saying that I am new to this forum and I am new to physics. I've always had an interest in getting an entry level understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion. I also apologize if these questions are a bit stupid or overly covered in other posts.

I watched a Yale video lecture on Newton's Laws and as expected, I'm a little stumped.

1. Inertia has to do with an object's resistance to stopping and it's desire to continue moving forward at the same speed, correct?

2. What does a reference frame actually mean? In an example of a car accelerating, is the car the frame of reference? Does it matter whether or not the car is accelerating or just coasting?

3. If I am watching the car go past me, I am the observer?

4. Am I correct in that an object obeying the 1st law is an inertial frame of reference and an object not obeying it is a noninertial frame of reference?

5. When a car moves after being at rest, the dice hanging from the rear-view mirror swings backwards, this is noninertial, correct? Is the dice it's own frame of reference? Does the same apply when the car takes a bend and the dice swings to the side?

I'm struggling to understand the relationship between inertial/noninertial references and observers.

Any help would be great

Please remember that I am a noob to all of this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertia is the name used for a particular property of matter: matter in motion tends to stay in motion, in a straight line, unless an external force is applied. Galileo stated an early form of this, which Newton generalized.

A reference frame is where the observer is standing and carrying out measurements; the lab frame is your laboratory, with a set of coordinates defined by you, the experimenter.

Clearly you can define many different reference frames; Newton tells us that they are all equally good if they are "inertial reference frames": all of the "laboratories" are undergoing inertial motion, with no external forces.

Thus when you watch the car go by - and take some measurements, perhaps with a stop watch and some markers - then you are the observer, and the local ground is your laboratory. But you could just as easily be on a boat sailing by, floating with the current down a river: then you are moving wrt the ground, but your reference frame is still valid!

Thus your statement (4) is correct; as is statement (5).

SQLMAN said:
4. Am I correct in that an object obeying the 1st law is an inertial frame of reference and an object not obeying it is a noninertial frame of reference?
To a reasonable approximation and speaking classically, a frame of reference is a cartesian coordinate system with three dimensions of space and one of time. It allows you to specify where any object is with the three spatial coordinates and when any event occurred with the one time coordinate. [More formal definitions of frame of reference abstract away some of the details that go into defining a coordinate system]

If you have such a coordinate system already set up then it is "inertial" if objects that are not subject to external forces obey Newton's first law.

So if you have an object that obeys the 1st law _as judged using a particular frame of reference_ then that frame of reference may plausibly be inertial.

If you have an object that is not subject to any external forces, that object can be used to define the origin of a coordinate system. As long as the coordinate system does not rotate, it will be inertial.

5. When a car moves after being at rest, the dice hanging from the rear-view mirror swings backwards, this is noninertial, correct? Is the dice it's own frame of reference? Does the same apply when the car takes a bend and the dice swings to the side?

If you take the car as defining your frame of reference then it defines a non-inertial frame. The die is subject to no net external force and yet it accelerates. In both cases -- the car moving after being at rest or following a bend at speed the resulting defined frame of reference is non-inertial.

Saying that a car "is" a frame of reference or that the die "is" a frame of reference is incorrect. It is also incorrect to say that an object "is in" a frame of reference.

It is more correct to say that you are "using" or "adopting" a particular frame of reference to describe a particular set of observations. You do this by expressing your measurements using coordinates from the chosen frame of reference. The same set of measurements could be expressed differently depending on what coordinate system/frame of reference is used. For instance, you could say that the die accelerates (using the car-centered frame of reference) or that it does not accelerate (using a ground-centered frame of reference).

Related to Physics Newbie - Newtons 1st Law - Frames of References & Observers

1. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with the same speed and direction, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What is a frame of reference in physics?

A frame of reference is a set of coordinate axes used to describe the position, orientation, and motion of an object. It is a point of view or perspective from which observations and measurements are made.

3. How does Newton's First Law apply to frames of reference?

In Newton's First Law, the concept of inertia is related to frames of reference. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, and this applies to all frames of reference, regardless of their speed or direction of motion.

4. What is an observer in physics?

An observer in physics is a person or device that measures and records information about the physical world. Observers play a crucial role in determining the laws and principles of physics through experiments and observations.

5. Can frames of reference affect the laws of physics?

No, frames of reference do not affect the laws of physics. The laws of physics are universal and apply to all frames of reference, regardless of their relative motion or orientation. Frames of reference simply provide a way to understand and describe the physical world from different perspectives.