Physics: Multiplying Unit vectors

In summary, if you don't know what the cross product is and you know that the dot product and scalar product of two vectors are defined, then you don't know enough to calculate anything else.
RaeMarine
[Moderator note: Post moved from New Member Introductions forum, so no template]

I am having trouble understanding how to multiply unit vectors. I know that: (please excuse the notation)
i^×j^ = k^
j^×k^ = i^
k^×i^ = j^

The question I am stuck on is: What is (i^×j^)×k^?
So far I have (i^×j^) = k^, which would mean the above equation turns into k^×k^. I am supposed to represent the answer in unit vector form, but the only answers I can come up with are k^ squared or -1... What am I missing? All help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
RaeMarine said:
I am having trouble understanding how to multiply unit vectors. I know that: (please excuse the notation)
i^×j^ = k^
j^×k^ = i^
k^×i^ = j^

So far I have (i^×j^) = k^, which would mean the above equation turns into k^×k^. I am supposed to represent the answer in unit vector form, but the only answers I can come up with are k^ squared or -1... What am I missing? All help is appreciated!
Don't ask technical questions in your Introduction post.

You should learn some basic facts about dot products and cross products of unit vectors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

What can I ask in my introduction post?

RaeMarine said:
What can I ask in my introduction post?
You shouldn't ask anything. The purpose of an introduction post is to introduce yourself.

RaeMarine said:
i^×j^ = k^
j^×k^ = i^
k^×i^ = j^
If that is all you know then you don't know enough to calculate anything else! You would also need to know that the "cross product" of two vectors is "bilinear" meaning (au^+ bv^) x w^= a(u^xw^)+ b(v^xw^) and that the cross product is "anti-commutative" meaning that u^xv^= -v^xu^

There are three different kinds of "multiplication" defined for vectors, the "scalar product", of a scalar with a vector, returning a vector, the "dot product" (also called "inner product"), of two vectors, returning a scalar, and the "cross product", that you are talking about here, of two vectors, returning a vector. The terminology "k^ squared" is ambiguous because that would be a product of two vectors which could be either the dot product or the cross product. To find the cross product of k with itself, use the fact that "u^xv^= -v^xu^" with both u^ and v^ equal to k^ that gives k^xk^= -k^xk^. What does that tell you?

Related to Physics: Multiplying Unit vectors

1. What are unit vectors in physics?

Unit vectors in physics are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to represent a specific direction. They are typically denoted by a hat (^) above the vector symbol.

2. How do you multiply unit vectors?

To multiply unit vectors, you use the same rules as multiplying regular vectors. This means you multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and then add them together to get the final result.

3. What is the purpose of multiplying unit vectors?

Multiplying unit vectors allows us to find the components of a vector in a specific direction. This is useful in many physics problems, such as calculating forces or velocities.

4. Can you multiply more than two unit vectors?

Yes, you can multiply any number of unit vectors together. The process remains the same - multiply the corresponding components and add them together to get the final result.

5. What is the result of multiplying two unit vectors in the same direction?

If two unit vectors are in the same direction, the result of multiplying them will be another unit vector in that same direction. This is because the magnitude of a unit vector is always 1, and multiplying it by 1 does not change the direction.