Physics: Mechanics - Distance & Height Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a snowball rolling off a barn roof and a man standing nearby. The first part of the problem involves finding the distance the snowball will travel before hitting the ground, while the second part asks if the man will be hit by the snowball. The solution involves using the falling body problem and taking into account gravitational force to find the time and distance traveled by the snowball. The second part also requires creating an equation and using the man's height to determine if he will be hit by the snowball.
ZenithFaculty
Physics - Mechanics??

hey i got a problem

A snowball rolls off a barn roof that slopes downward at an angle of . The edge of the roof is 14.0 m above the ground, and the snowball has a speed of 7.00 m/s as it rolls off the roof. Ignore air resistance.

Part A
How far from the edge of the barn does the snowball strike the ground if it doesn't strike anything else while falling?

Part B
A man 1.9 m tall is standing 4.0 m from the edge of the barn. Will he be hit by the snowball?
I don't know how to get started a help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve this in 2 parts. First you have the falling body problem.

You need to find the component of the initial velocity which contributes to the falling motion. Use that to find the time the snowball takes to reach the ground. Once you know that time you can compute the distance from the barn.

u haven't mentioned the angle
anyhow
if let us suppose angle = @
the height of edge = y
and
the distance required = x
then
it is making a triangle having one side and one angle known
neglecting velocity
tan@ = y/x => x = y/tan@
from that u can find out the B part also
the solution is only mine
so if u feel i m wrong please tell me ...
thanks

Naumann said:
u haven't mentioned the angle
anyhow
if let us suppose angle = @
the height of edge = y
and
the distance required = x
then
it is making a triangle having one side and one angle known
neglecting velocity
tan@ = y/x => x = y/tan@
from that u can find out the B part also
the solution is only mine
so if u feel i m wrong please tell me ...
thanks
No, this is not correct. You have forgotten to take inti account gravitational force in the motion. The path followed will be parabolic and not a straight line.
Follow Integral's advice.
For part B, you had better make an eqn in x and y for the projectile by eliminating time from the two eqns for x and y.Then put x value of the man in the obtained eqn, and see if the y value is greater than or less than the man's height.

1. How do you calculate the distance an object travels?

The distance an object travels can be calculated using the formula: distance = speed x time. This means that if you know the speed at which an object is moving and the time it has been moving for, you can calculate the distance it has traveled.

2. What is the formula for calculating the height of an object?

The formula for calculating the height of an object is: height = 1/2 x gravity x time^2. This formula takes into account the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8m/s^2 on Earth.

3. How do I convert between units of distance and height?

To convert between units of distance and height, you can use the following conversions: 1 meter (m) = 100 centimeters (cm), 1 meter (m) = 1000 millimeters (mm), 1 kilometer (km) = 1000 meters (m), 1 foot (ft) = 12 inches (in), 1 mile (mi) = 5280 feet (ft). These conversions can be used depending on the units given in the problem.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance refers to the total length traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the object's starting point and ending point. Displacement takes into account the direction of the movement, while distance does not.

5. How do external factors, such as air resistance, affect calculations involving distance and height?

External factors, such as air resistance, can affect calculations involving distance and height by altering the speed and acceleration of an object. In some cases, these factors may need to be taken into account in order to accurately calculate the distance or height traveled by an object.