Physics major needs advice on choosing a minor

In summary, a physics major with a minor in mathematics will be more useful in grad school than a physics major without a minor in mathematics.
JFrankParnell
I'm going for a B.S. in physics and haven't decided yet whether I'm going to use my elective credits to minor in chemistry double major in B.S. mathematics. Eventually, I'd like to do graduate work in cosmology or nuclear or theoretical physics. Which of these two options (if either) would be more helpful to me in grad school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably math, but if you can/have to take non-physics courses, you'll likely find programming courses to be far more universally useful.

Hi JFrankParnell,

The physics chairman at my university highly encourages a minor in mathematics along with a physics major for students looking to do research in physics. I see you've also mentioned cosmology and nuclear physics. I'm aspiring to work in nuclear astrophysics and am double majoring in astrophysics and materials chemistry for undergrad (no nuclear engineering at my school). I asked a nuclear astrophysicist who came to my school what he would recommend students to major in if they would like to work in his field. He asked me what I'm majoring in and told me my current path is a good one.

You may also want to check Zapper Z's thread "So you want to be a physicist." I see that Lavabug mentioned programming. The astrophysics professor at my school said that an object oriented language such as C++ is good and she also recommends visual basic and FORTRAN.

Good luck with everything!

Oh and double major for materials chem is only 10 extra classes for me. Are you on a strict time limit for graduation?

Are you on a strict time limit for graduation?

Not really.

The physics chairman at my university highly encourages a minor in mathematics along with a physics major for students looking to do research in physics.

At the school I'll be attending, they don't allow physics majors to minor in mathematics. If I want to do extra work in math, I'll have to do a double major. I assumed pretty much all universities were the same.Good luck with everything!

Thanks!

how about getting a minor in CS?

chill_factor said:
how about getting a minor in CS?

Not really my cup of tea. The subjects I'm most interested in besides physics are chemistry and mathematics. Never really been much interested in CS.

Related to Physics major needs advice on choosing a minor

1. What are the most common minors for a physics major?

Some of the most common minors for a physics major include mathematics, computer science, engineering, astronomy, and chemistry.

2. How can a minor complement a physics major?

A minor can complement a physics major by providing a more well-rounded education and allowing for the development of additional skills and knowledge in a related field.

3. Is it necessary for a physics major to have a minor?

No, it is not necessary for a physics major to have a minor. However, having a minor can enhance your academic experience and make you more competitive in the job market.

4. Can a minor in a non-science field be beneficial for a physics major?

Yes, a minor in a non-science field can be beneficial for a physics major. It can provide a different perspective and help develop skills in areas such as communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving.

5. How can a physics major choose the right minor?

A physics major should choose a minor based on their interests, career goals, and how well it complements their major. It is also important to consider the course requirements and workload to ensure a manageable workload.