Physics major need career advice

In summary, the conversation discusses potential career paths for someone with a physics degree, specifically in the field of engineering. The speaker mentions their own experience as an engineer in a failure analysis company and suggests other options such as research in nanotechnology or working in a manufacturing company. They also mention the use of various equipment in their lab for failure analysis, such as SEM-EDX, AFM, FT-IR, and SPM.
Maurice7510
Hi, I'm going into my second year of the physics program and I was thinking about trying out for med school afterwards. In case that doesn't pan out, what are some other jobs that require a physics degree? If I don't make it into med school, I'll probably go for a masters and probably Ph.D, but I don't know what I could do with that.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi... i am also a graduate in physics program. i am now an engineer in failure analysis company. we are carrying out failure analysis through microscopy ways. we use SEM-EDX in our lab (lab service)... we also have many other equipmnts such as atomic force microscope(AFM), Fourier transform infra red (FT-IR), scanning probe microscopy(SPM) and etc..though, i think u can either involve in research of nanotech or failure analysis. ...o u can start career in engineering, such as material engineering, manufactring cmpany...

Related to Physics major need career advice

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Physics?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options available to them. Some common career paths include research and development, data analysis, engineering, teaching, and consulting. Many physics majors also go on to work in fields such as finance, law, and medicine.

2. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree after obtaining a Physics major?

While it is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree, it can open up more career opportunities and often leads to higher salaries. Many research and development positions in physics require a graduate degree, and it can also be beneficial for those interested in teaching at the university level.

3. How can I gain practical experience in the field of Physics?

There are several ways to gain practical experience in the field of Physics. Some options include participating in research projects, internships, or co-op programs. You can also gain experience by working in a laboratory or assisting a professor with their research. Additionally, many universities offer hands-on courses and workshops that allow students to apply their knowledge in a practical setting.

4. What skills and qualities are important for a successful career in Physics?

Aside from a strong understanding of mathematical and scientific principles, successful physicists possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. They also have strong communication skills, both written and verbal, as they often need to present their findings and research to others.

5. What resources are available for Physics majors seeking career advice?

There are many resources available for Physics majors seeking career advice. Your university's career center may offer workshops, resume reviews, and job fairs specifically for students in the field of Physics. You can also network with alumni or professionals in the field, join professional organizations, and attend conferences and seminars to learn more about potential career paths and opportunities.