Physics Lab Exams: Theoretical or Experimental?

In summary, the conversation revolves around exams for physics labs and how they are conducted at different universities. One person teaches physics labs with a final experimental exam, but is not entirely satisfied with this method and wants to know how other universities conduct their exams. Another person explains that their exams were a mix of theoretical and experimental questions, and they personally prefer this approach. They also mention a specific example of an experimental exam they had in the past.
Physicist
Hello all,

Do you have exams for physics labs?

How is the exam done? Theoretical or experimental?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the thing to ask a professor who teaches such a course.

Thank you Bitter.
I want to know the rules at different universities.

I teach physics labs and we have a final experimental exam which includes the same experiments done during the semester. I don't agree completely with this way of examining and wanted to see how other universities examine.

My exams for the labs where a mix of both. We where given problems, where we had to compute the numerical answer by applying the various theories we had learned. Then we would set up experiments based on the questions. I prefer this method as opposed to just replicating prior experiments.

We had a practical exam too. An earlier experiment had us examine elastic and inelastic collisions with known masses. The exam had us do the same thing but with unknown mass. I don't remember the details really since it was a long time ago.

Related to Physics Lab Exams: Theoretical or Experimental?

1. What topics will be covered on the general physics lab exam?

The general physics lab exam will cover a variety of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It is important to review all of these topics thoroughly in preparation for the exam.

2. How should I study for the general physics lab exam?

To prepare for the general physics lab exam, it is recommended to review your lecture notes, textbook readings, and lab experiments. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and participate in practice lab sessions. Additionally, creating flashcards and diagrams can aid in memorizing important concepts.

3. Will there be calculations on the general physics lab exam?

Yes, the general physics lab exam will include calculations that test your understanding of the principles and equations covered in the course. It is important to be familiar with the mathematical formulas and how to apply them to solve problems.

4. How much time will be given for the general physics lab exam?

The amount of time given for the general physics lab exam may vary depending on the specific class and instructor. Generally, exams are timed and students are expected to complete their work within the designated time frame. It is important to manage your time effectively during the exam.

5. Are there any resources or materials that are allowed during the general physics lab exam?

This may also vary depending on the class and instructor, but typically, students are not allowed to use any resources or materials during the general physics lab exam. This is to test your understanding and application of concepts without any external aids. It is important to review and study thoroughly to do well on the exam.