Ideas of Nature: Prevalence & Ethicality

In summary, some people believe that nature is of its own divine conscience and comes from the fact that great events were at the time and still are to some degree hard to explain. They also believe that we need to more in tune with this union with nature in order to learn from it and achieve peace, love, and understanding.
Dissident Dan
Ideas of "nature"

For a good portion of my life, I used and heard used the "word" nature with an assumption that my use of the word nature was like nearly all others' use of the word. I heard the phrase "Mother Nature" used and thought of it much like the phrase "Father Time" -- an anthropomorphism that wasn't meant to be taken literally, just a colorful, little phrase. When I thought of "valueing nature", I thought of valueing the creatures and/or subjective beautry of this world.

I did not thing of nature as itself being some entity, and I assumed others had the same kind of notion of "nature" as I did. Yet, as I grow older, it seems apparent to me that some others have a more Gaia-like idea of nature.

How prevalent are such Gaia ideas?

In addition, is their ethicality or morality in being "natural" or "unnatural"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I think Dr. Ross was pretty hot in the one scene with, oh this isn't about the movie is it, lol :wink:

Anyway. Yes some believe that nature is of its own divine conscience and imo comes from the fact that such great events were at the time and still are to some degree hard to explain. Nature is very complex and that is why much of the natural events like.. rain, snow, growth, life, etc were explained by gods in many cultures. A gaia would be like the combination of all of these in a way and so the gaia hypothesis was created.

http://erg.ucd.ie/arupa/references/gaia.html

Of course after reading this i personally like the "matrix" theories better ;) lol. Anyway the first time i heard of gaia was in fact the movie Final Fantasy so imo it isn't that widely held, of course I could totally be wrong.

In addition, is their ethicality or morality in being "natural" or "unnatural"?
I don't think so. Man is part of nature. It may be rather harsh, but I attribute the whole "back to nature" movement as a case of mass survivor guilt. The Gaia hypothesis itself is interesting, but I think rather overplayed - I do not think it constitutes a theory itself, but just a perspective from which to look at things from a greater scale.

while we are a part of nature, somehow with modern thought, we have separated ourselves.

the movement back to nature is to observe how nature unfolds spontaneously.

we need to more in tune with this union and how we can learn from nature.

peace,

What is the concept of "Ideas of Nature"?

The concept of "Ideas of Nature" refers to the different perspectives and beliefs that individuals and societies have about the natural world. It encompasses ideas about the origins, purpose, and value of nature, as well as ethical considerations related to human interactions with nature.

Why is it important to study the prevalence of Ideas of Nature?

Studying the prevalence of Ideas of Nature allows us to better understand how people perceive and interact with the natural world. This information can be used to inform policies and decision-making related to conservation, environmental protection, and sustainable development.

What are some common ethical considerations related to Ideas of Nature?

Some common ethical considerations related to Ideas of Nature include the rights of non-human beings, the impact of human activities on the environment, and the use of natural resources for human benefit. Other considerations may include cultural and spiritual beliefs about nature, and the responsibility of humans to protect and preserve the natural world.

How do Ideas of Nature vary across cultures and societies?

Ideas of Nature can vary greatly across cultures and societies. Some cultures may have a deep spiritual connection to nature, while others may view it primarily as a source of resources. Additionally, geographical location and historical events can also influence the prevalence and beliefs surrounding nature in different societies.

What role do scientific advancements play in shaping Ideas of Nature?

Scientific advancements can play a significant role in shaping Ideas of Nature. For example, new discoveries and technologies may change our understanding of the natural world and lead to shifts in ethical considerations and beliefs. Conversely, societal attitudes and beliefs about nature can also influence scientific research and funding priorities.