Physics In Space Assignment - Year 12

In summary, the conversation is about researching orbits in the solar system and understanding the commonalities and differences between them. The main governing factor is gravity, along with orbital velocity and radius. It is also mentioned that Newton's Universal Gravitation and Kepler's three laws play a role in the orbits. For satellite communication, a low Earth orbit is most preferable due to its specific characteristics compared to geosynchronous and polar orbits.
LukeyD
Can someone please break this task down as I'm so confused :'(
It's due tomorrow and I would of done it sooner but I had in real life issues :\

Research into the shapes of orbits that exist in our solar system, including the motion of planets, comets, moons and satellites.

I found some information about orbits but I can't really find anything else.

What do they have in common how are they different.

I've got this one covered.

What rules govern how these masses revolve around each other? Give examples of how they apply.

Make a conclusion on What type of orbits would be most preferable for satellite communication, explaining why this orbit is preferable

I have no idea how to do these two. I know that the two laws are Newton's Universal Gravitation and Kepler's three laws but I don't know how they're similar or different?
Can someone please shed some light.

Physics news on Phys.org
LukeyD said:
What rules govern how these masses revolve around each other? Give examples of how they apply.

Gravity would be the main governing factor. Accompany this with orbital velocity and radius and it should cover it.
Make a conclusion on What type of orbits would be most preferable for satellite communication, explaining why this orbit is preferable

Well this is easy. You need to compare low Earth orbits to geosynchronous to polar. If you look each of them up you'll note a number of key differences and how only one is useful for communication satellites.

Related to Physics In Space Assignment - Year 12

1. What is the purpose of studying physics in space?

Studying physics in space helps us understand the laws and principles that govern the universe. It also allows us to develop technologies and methods to explore and utilize space for various purposes, such as communication, navigation, and scientific research.

2. How does physics play a role in space exploration?

Physics plays a crucial role in space exploration by providing the foundation for spacecraft design, propulsion systems, and navigation methods. It also helps us understand phenomena like gravity, radiation, and electromagnetism, which are crucial for successful space missions.

3. What are some of the challenges of conducting physics experiments in space?

Conducting physics experiments in space presents unique challenges, such as microgravity effects, extreme temperatures, and the lack of atmospheric pressure. These factors can have a significant impact on the behavior of materials and the accuracy of measurements, requiring specialized equipment and techniques.

4. How does studying physics in space contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying physics in space allows us to observe and study objects and phenomena that are not visible from Earth, such as black holes, dark matter, and cosmic rays. This helps us expand our understanding of the universe and gain insights into its origins, evolution, and composition.

5. What are some potential applications of physics in space?

There are numerous potential applications of physics in space, including satellite communications, GPS systems, remote sensing, and space-based telescopes. Physics also plays a crucial role in developing sustainable and efficient space travel, which could open up new possibilities for space exploration and colonization in the future.