Physics Honors-Inclines-Car Rolling Down a Hill.

In summary, a 900 kg car with no friction on a 15 degree incline will have a speed of 16.6 m/s after rolling 20m. This was calculated using the equations F=ma and v2=2aΔx, with the acceleration being g(sin)(theta)-9.8(cos)(theta) and the final velocity being the square root of 277.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A 900 kg car is parked on a hill when its brakes fail. It begins to roll down the hill, which is at a 15 degree angle above the horizontal. What is the car's speed after it has rolled 20m? Assum no friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma
v2=2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

a=g(sin)(theta)-9.8(cos)(theta)
a=2.54-9.47
a=6.93

v2=2aΔx
v2=3(6.93)(20)
v2=277.2
v=√277
v=16.6 m/s

That looks right to me! Could someone please confirm?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. But if you have a question on something specific, go ahead.

Point is, we lose credibility with educational institutions if we start handing out "approved" stamps. That way everybody gets A++ if they ask PF.

You are by now quite qualified to check your own work. Do so and be confident!

I'll hold back on posting so much, then, if credibility is lost. I disagree somewhat that everybody would get all A's, as it takes a certain level of skill to come to an answer to begin with, and since I still do most of the work even if the answer is wrong and someone helps fix it. :smile:
Thanks!

All right, all right. I agree with a=g(sin)(theta). Along the slope, downwards. The 9.8(cos)(theta) is perpendicular to that. (You did make a drawing, right ?)

In an almost similar case, but with apiano in the car and some friction, I objected against the v2=2aΔx. I am prepared to repent if you convince me that it's relevant and correct here.

For more information, coonsult the other thread (with friction and ...)

I consulted a previous, extremely similar, diagram. I'm still not sure why you're asking about a piano in the car. Did I state there was a piano in a car in one of my problems? If so, it was a major typo. It's relevant here because I'm trying to find the final speed, which is the velocity, of the car after it has rolled 20m. The equation I gave included all the information needed to determine the velocity. Unless, of course, we need to take the mass into account? Up until this point, we've discarded it, but maybe since we're working on an incline now it's needed.

No I was just kidding. Recognized the 900 kg as the weight of the piano in an earlier, quite similar thread. Weird sense of humour, I agree. Poor you.

Let's get to work. Where on Earth did you find v2=2aΔx.

Do you really want me to copy the relevant equations for linear motion with a constant acceleration from another earlier thread or can you collect hem yourself ?

I already collected them. Please see the link in my other thread.

Great. Why don't we meet in the other thread. Once we have an answer we can set ##\mu=0## and then we have bagged this one too !

Related to Physics Honors-Inclines-Car Rolling Down a Hill.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a car rolling down a hill?

The acceleration of a car rolling down a hill can be calculated using the formula a = g*sin(θ), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and θ is the angle of incline.

2. How does the mass of the car affect its acceleration down the incline?

The mass of the car does not affect its acceleration down the incline. The acceleration is solely determined by the angle of incline and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and the acceleration of the car?

The acceleration of the car is directly proportional to the angle of incline. This means that as the angle of incline increases, the acceleration also increases.

4. How can the speed of the car at the bottom of the incline be calculated?

The speed of the car at the bottom of the incline can be calculated using the formula v = √(2*g*h), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

5. What is the difference between a car rolling down an incline and a car sliding down an incline?

A car rolling down an incline experiences both rolling and sliding motion, while a car sliding down an incline only experiences sliding motion. This is because the rolling motion of the car helps to reduce the effects of friction, allowing the car to accelerate more easily down the incline.