Physics Homework Help: 3-Part Problem with Mass, Friction, and Spring Forces

In summary, the mass slides to the right on a surface with a coefficient of friction, and then comes to rest after the spring has been compressed a distance.
stacerho
I am having trouble understanding how to work this 3 part problem.

A 9 kg mass slides to the right on a surface having a coefficient of friction 0.34. The mass has a speed of 4 m/s when contact is made with a spring that has a spring constant 159 N/m. the mass comes to rest after the spring has been compressed a distance d. The mass is then forced toward the left by the spring and continues to move in that direction beyond the outstretched position. Finally the mass comes to rest a distance D to the left of the unstretched spring. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

Part 1) Find the compressed distance d. Answer in units of m

Part 2) Find the speed vfinal at the spring’s unstretched position when the mass is moving to the left. Answer in units of m/s

Part 3) Find the distance D where the mass comes to rest. Answer in units of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get help you MUST show your work!

I don't have a clue, I've been so lost in this class from the beginning. I cannot even figure out where to start and that's the problem. I just need to pass this class. I'm having a baby in a few weeks and just have had so much trouble grasping this stuff.

Under the circumstances, I'll try and show you how to approach this, but you must make some effort yourself.

This one of those energy and work problems with a before and after state.

At the beginning the energy in the system is the KE of the mass. There's a simple formula for that. After the block stops moving the first time, the energy it used to have has gone into frictional loss and the spring.

If the block moved distance d before stopping, the work ( energy) lost to friction is mgdc where c is the coefficient of friction. The energy in the spring is Kd^2 where K is the spring constant.

If you equate the initial and final energies you get a quadratic equation in d which is a piece of cake to solve.

I am very confused about a question about sound waves. I am confused about the given. If the given is not in the question then how do you figure it out.

Yes that's the problem thank you

Related to Physics Homework Help: 3-Part Problem with Mass, Friction, and Spring Forces

What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand how the world around us works, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. It also has practical applications in technology and engineering, such as in the development of new technologies and materials.

How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to develop a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and principles. This can be achieved through regular practice, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and engaging in hands-on experiments and activities.

What resources are available for physics homework help?

There are many resources available for physics homework help, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Your teacher or professor is also a valuable resource and can provide you with additional guidance and clarification.

How can I approach difficult physics problems?

When facing difficult physics problems, it is important to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the known variables and the unknowns, and then apply relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknowns. It can also be helpful to seek help from peers or teachers if you are stuck.