Physics homeowork Average Velocity

In summary, a driver is traveling between two cities with speeds of 60 km/hour and 90 km/hour. They want to find the average velocity, but are unsure how to do so. The formula for average velocity is Δs/Δt, and the driver can find the expression for time using displacement and the known speeds. It may be helpful to insert a known value for displacement to simplify the calculations.
MMM123456
Hello everyone i need help in my physics homework my class is tomorrow and i ve been trying to solve it since 2 days but i don't now how to

A driver moves 1/3 of the way between two cities with speed of 60 km/hour

he continuous with speed of 90 km/hour find the average velocity? the car is moving to the right

please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know that distance moves= average velocity x time.
Find all the equations that relate to above equation.

The formula for average velocity is Δs/Δt, i.e. change in displacement over the change in time (or time taken), as I hope you're aware of.

Now, what you have to do is find an expression for time, using s for displacement and the known speeds. Try it yourself from there and reply if you're having difficulties.

What you could do, if you want to simplify the question, is to instert a known value for the displacement. Since the only information you've got is the fraction of which he drove at the two speeds, this wouldn't affect the final answer as the displacement cancels out in the calculations.

EDIT: I was away and did not notice the above poster. My bad.

MMM123456 said:
Hello everyone i need help in my physics homework my class is tomorrow and i ve been trying to solve it since 2 days but i don't now how to

A driver moves 1/3 of the way between two cities with speed of 60 km/hour

he continuous with speed of 90 km/hour find the average velocity? the car is moving to the right

please help me
Let the distance between the cities = x km.
and proceed from there ...

Hi there, it seems like you are having trouble with calculating average velocity. I am happy to help you understand this concept. Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken. In this case, the displacement is the distance between the two cities, which is 2/3 of the total distance. The time taken is the sum of the time taken at each speed. So, we can calculate the average velocity as follows:

Average velocity = (2/3 of the total distance) / (total time taken)

To find the total time taken, we need to divide the distance traveled at each speed by the respective speed. So, the total time taken is (1/3 of the total distance) / (60 km/h) + (2/3 of the total distance) / (90 km/h).

Now, we can plug these values into the equation for average velocity:

Average velocity = (2/3 of the total distance) / ((1/3 of the total distance) / (60 km/h) + (2/3 of the total distance) / (90 km/h))

Simplifying this, we get:

Average velocity = 72 km/h

Therefore, the average velocity of the car is 72 km/h. I hope this helps you understand how to calculate average velocity. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Physics homeowork Average Velocity

1. What is average velocity in physics?

Average velocity in physics is a measure of the displacement of an object over a specific time period. It is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

While average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, average speed only considers the magnitude of an object's motion. This means that average velocity includes information about an object's displacement, while average speed does not.

3. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final displacement - initial displacement) / (final time - initial time).

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the negative direction (opposite of its initial direction) and its displacement is decreasing over time.

5. How can average velocity be used in real life?

Average velocity is a useful concept in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle or determining the displacement of an object over a certain time period. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the average velocity of a runner during a race.