Physics Help- Projectile Motion?

In summary: This will give the value of the fence height. If the play is certain to be a home run then the fence height will be 120 m.
Animalgirl27
A baseball leaves the bat at a height of 1.23 m above the ground, traveling at an angle of 45.0 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The initial velocity of the ball is such that, for an unobstructed trajectory, it would land 120 m from the home plate. The ballpark fence is at a distance of 110 m from the plate. What is the maximum possible height of the fence, if the play is certain to be a home run?
I have tried this problem and am lost. I know I need the equation s=s0 + v0(t)+.5at^2 and the v(t)=v0 + at. I have made a column for horizontal and vertical. Can someone please explain how to do this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be easier for us if you would have shown us the complete attempt. We would help from where you went wrong.

I tried to find the components first by using cos45 and sin45, but I don't know if I can use the 120 m or that's the wrong thing? Then I tried to use tan45 = max height/60 and got 60. I just don't know where to go from here.

For solving projectile problems you must first separate the x-axis component and the y-axis components. That is the velocity, displacement, acceleration. Now the only thing common between these two components is time (t).

First find the speed of the ball. The range is given. What is the relation between speed and range?

Now once you get the speed you can easily the problem.

Speed = Distance/Time. As for acceleration, I know a=0 for horizontal and a=-g for vertical. I am still confused how to find the speed of the ball though. Which equation can I use for that or is there another method?

Animalgirl27 said:
A baseball leaves the bat at a height of 1.23 m above the ground, traveling at an angle of 45.0 degrees with respect to the horizontal. The initial velocity of the ball is such that, for an unobstructed trajectory, it would land 120 m from the home plate.

Sorry i missed the part 'hit 1.23m above the ground'. Now

1) The x-axis and the y-axis displacement is given. What are these?

2) Now as the displacements are known use the second kinematic equation for each x and y axes. Form the two equations. Use these two equations to get the value of speed.(What are are these two equations?)

This is the first part of the problem.

Animalgirl27 said:
The ballpark fence is at a distance of 110 m from the plate. What is the maximum possible height of the fence, if the play is certain to be a home run?
!

In the second part of the problem the X-axis displacement is known. Use the value of v from part one. Again form the two equations(the second equation of kinematics will be used). Solve for the unknown.

Related to Physics Help- Projectile Motion?

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, specifically the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational acceleration of the projectile.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational acceleration. Other factors such as wind, humidity, and air density can also have an impact on the trajectory.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the horizontal velocity and changing the angle of the projectile's trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force opposite to the direction of motion, causing a decrease in velocity over time.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, horizontal motion refers to the motion along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to the motion along the y-axis. Horizontal motion is constant, assuming no external forces act on the projectile, while vertical motion is affected by gravity and changes over time.

5. How can projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Projectile motion is used to understand and predict the motion of objects such as projectiles, rockets, and sports balls. It is also used in fields such as engineering and ballistics to design and optimize the flight paths of objects.