Physics graduates: any vocational ed or engineering courses?

In summary: I think this poll is for physics graduates and was asking if any vocational education or engineering course work was extremely important or helpful in earning your undergraduate degree in physics, either before or during your Physics education.

Was vocational or engineering course work important for your undergad phys degree?

• Vocational training before physics undergraduate education

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Vocational training during physics undergraduate education

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Engineering courses before physics undergrad education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engineering courses during physics undergrad education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of those were needed and none were important in physics undergrad education

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
This poll (attempt) is for physics graduates. Was any vocational education or engineering course work extremely important or helpful in earning your undergraduate degree in physics, either before or during your Physics education?
(this line edited)

I am hoping the view votes publicly only shows counts, and not usernames. Otherwise, tell me if I can adjust this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
I am hoping the view votes publicly only shows counts, and not usernames. Otherwise, tell me if I can adjust this.
Uncheck "Display votes publicly" in the options. I did this now.

mfb said:
Uncheck "Display votes publicly" in the options. I did this now.
I see.

I added a default "none" choice, since so far nobody has participated, and maybe the first choices were a poor dilemma for many people.

It's worth keeping in mind that in many countries, students outside of the engineering faculties are not able to take engineering coursework.

For example, at the University of Toronto (my alma mater) in Canada, engineering coursework is strictly restricted to students in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, with a few exceptions (the Material Sciences undergraduate program within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences being one of them). Physics students (since they are registered as part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences) therefore are unable to take any engineering courses during their undergraduate program. They are, however, able to take any other humanities, science, or social science courses offered within their faculty subject to any limited enrollment restrictions placed on them.

Different universities in Canada have different requirements on this, however.

im not sure what you mean by "important." do you mean, important to me, or required by the program, or something else?

gmax137 said:
im not sure what you mean by "important." do you mean, important to me, or required by the program, or something else?
Important should mean that the course from either engineering or from vocational, was useful for you or helped you in earning your Physics undergraduate degree. I do not mean, "required by the program" as in the formal administrative sense. Important should mean that having done the vocational or engineering course/courses was better for YOU in earning the Physics degree than if you did not do these voc or engineerg courses.

Related to Physics graduates: any vocational ed or engineering courses?

1. What career options are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career options available to them, including research positions in academia, government or private institutions, as well as opportunities in engineering, technology, finance, and consulting industries.

2. Do physics graduates need to pursue further education or training?

It depends on the career path you choose. Some positions may require advanced degrees, such as a Master's or PhD, while others may require specific vocational training or certifications. It is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career field.

3. Can physics graduates pursue vocational education or engineering courses?

Yes, physics graduates can pursue vocational education or engineering courses to gain specialized skills and knowledge in their field. This can lead to opportunities in industries such as aerospace, electronics, and energy.

4. What skills do physics graduates possess that are beneficial in the workforce?

Physics graduates possess a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills. They also have experience in data analysis, computer programming, and experimental design, which are highly sought after skills in many industries.

5. Are there any specific industries that are in high demand for physics graduates?

Physics graduates are in high demand in industries such as technology, finance, and healthcare, where their analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued. Additionally, the growing fields of renewable energy and sustainability also offer many opportunities for physics graduates.