Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Physics forum?

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Would adding a Physics forum be a good idea? I'm for it, as we get several posts that would fit into that category and it's often math-intensive.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
I agree, it’s a great idea. (Yes)

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
In addition to thanking the OP, I would also like to explicitly show my support. Physics can be - and often is - a very interesting subfield of mathematics. (Devil)(Wink)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
What are we proposing here exactly?

Currently physics is covered in:
  • Other Topics (pre university)
    Algebra-based Physics, Chemistry, Biology
  • Other Advanced Topics
    Miscellaneous, Interdisciplinary

The people asking questions in Other Topics seem to ask both Physics and Chemistry questions there. And no biology questions have been asked as yet. Admittedly there are more physics questions than chemistry questions.

Other Advanced Topics has effectively already been a physics sub forum.
If I'm not mistaken we mostly have advanced physics questions there.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Also, some physics questions go in Advanced Applied Mathematics.

Are we saying we want to re-structure our forums so that it's easier for folks to post in the right place? Having a Physics forum (and moving the relevant threads into it) might clarify, I agree.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Okay, so we might for instance make it:

• Pre-University Math
    • Physics
      Statics, Dynamics, Kinematics, Electricity, Magnetism, Electronics, Heat, Waves, Energy
    • Chemistry
      Anorganic, Organic, Acidity, Redox, Titration, Enthalpy, Periodic System, Atom Models
    • Other Topics
      Miscellaneous, Biology
  • University Math
    • Advanced Applied Mathematics
      Numerical Analysis, Modeling
    • Advanced Physics
      Mathematical Physics, Classical Mechanics, Optics, Electromagnetism, Electronics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Relativity, Quantum Mechanics
    • Computer Science
      Programming Languages, Data Structures and Algorithms, Information and Coding Theory, Complexity, Artificial Intelligence, Networks, Parallel Processing, Software Engineering, Human-Machine Interaction
    • Other Advanced Topics
      Miscellaneous, Interdisciplinary

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Looks good! The only suggestion I can make is to give Chemistry its own sub-forum.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Looks good! The only suggestion I can make is to give Chemistry its own sub-forum.
Okay. I've updated my previous post, and I've added some categories to make it more explicit.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
Firstly, let me state that I don't think what I say carries much weight, as I have not been around here for long. Others probably have a better overview. Also, I simply happen to like the idea in the OP.

Yet, there is a remark I would like to make. At some point in history I proposed a new subforum somewhere else, not on MHB. One of the more reasonable criticisms I received, said that subforums (new or old) should have enough traffic: Without it, they don't seem attractive to post in and their existence is marginal.

When I look into some of the currently existing subforums on MHB that would already be good candidates for physics related posts, I notice that the traffic is unfortunately not too high. Take "Advanced Applied Mathematics", for instance. There were only seven threads started in 2017 so far.

So, while I could certainly support the case for a separate "physics forum" (after all, why not, where there is also a "business mathematics" forum?) I suppose I would just like to caution against "over-binning" with too few "marbles per bin". One approach would be a "natural sciences and engineering" forum: At least from a somewhat conservative point of view, this overly broad family of fields has a lot of mathematical methodology in common.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Indeed. Advanced Applied Mathematics has had little traffic in 2017, and neither has Other Advanced Topics. There used to be more.
So maybe it makes more sense to merge those sub forums, and perhaps add Physics more explicitly to it.
Alternatively, we might make Advanced Applied Mathematics and Physics sub forums under Other Advanced Topics, so that we don't mix what is still quite a respectable number of pages with threads.

Other Topics (pre-university) does seem to have had a fair amount of traffic, making it reasonable to split Physics off.
And we might split off Chemistry as well.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
Is it possible to add new 'tags' for each forum? Perhaps people could request for new tags, and moderators can check off on them. In this way we keep one very broad term for the sub-forum itself, and lots of little specific sub categories. For example, there are more topics within Applied Math than just Numerics and Modelling.

I'm also not so sure that Mathematical Physics tag goes in the physics forum. I guess that's a tricky one though.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
New proposal:

• Pre-University Math
    • Physics
      Statics, Dynamics, Kinematics, Electricity, Magnetism, Electronics, Heat, Waves, Energy, Radiation
    • Chemistry
      Anorganic, Organic, Acidity, Redox, Titration, Enthalpy, Periodic System, Atom Models
    • Other Topics
      Miscellaneous
  • University Math
      Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Physics, Modeling
    • Computer Science
      Programming Languages, Data Structures and Algorithms, Information and Coding Theory, Complexity, Artificial Intelligence, Networks, Parallel Processing, Software Engineering, Human-Machine Interaction
    • Other Advanced Topics
      Advanced Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Interdisciplinary, Miscellaneous

That is, we split off Physics and Chemistry in Pre-University.
And we leave University Math as is, except that we explicitly add Advanced Physics to the Other Advanced Topics, while leaving Mathematical Physics in Advanced Applied Mathematics (at least for now).
With Advanced Physics, I'm aiming for Classical Mechanics, Optics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and the Standard Model, since generally the math for those is not super advanced, but certainly not trivial either.

If we go for this approach, the threads in Other Topics will have to be moved to the new sub forums.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
New proposal:

• Pre-University Math
    • Physics
      Statics, Dynamics, Kinematics, Electricity, Magnetism, Electronics, Heat, Waves, Energy
    • Chemistry
    • Other Topics
      Miscellaneous
  • University Math
      Numerical Analysis, Mathematical Physics, Modeling
    • Computer Science
    • Other Advanced Topics
      Advanced Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Interdisciplinary, Miscellaneous

That is, we split off Physics and Chemistry in Pre-University.
And we leave University Math as is, except that we explicitly add Advanced Physics to the Other Advanced Topics, while leaving Mathematical Physics in Advanced Applied Mathematics (at least for now).
With Advanced Physics, I'm aiming for Classical Mechanics, Optics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and the Standard Model, since generally the math for those is not super advanced, but certainly not trivial either.

If we go for this approach, the threads in Other Topics will have to be moved to the new sub forums.
Do you think one of the limitations are the need to categorize all the topics as Pre-University and University level math? With these categories, one needs to determine the 'difficulty' level of the math, instead of the just the topic itself.

I mention this as I was going to ask if topics like Optimization, Dynamical systems and Nonlinear phenomena (or something) could be included under App. Math (Dynamical systems is a pure math topic too, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere), but then I had to ask myself if they were 'advanced university level' topics or not. i.e., I'm not sure if Optimization at the university level is considered 'advanced'. The level of difficulty depends on the non-uniform standard of University education (difficulty is in the eye of the beholder and all that).

Note!! I don't actually think the Pre-/Universisty categories should be removed.. They are aligned with the sites motivation; I'm just speculating :).

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Do you think one of the limitations are the need to categorize all the topics as Pre-University and University level math? With these categories, one needs to determine the 'difficulty' level of the math, instead of the just the topic itself.

I mention this as I was going to ask if topics like Optimization, Dynamical systems and Nonlinear phenomena (or something) could be included under App. Math (Dynamical systems is a pure math topic too, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere), but then I had to ask myself if they were 'advanced university level' topics or not. i.e., I'm not sure if Optimization at the university level is considered 'advanced'. The level of difficulty depends on the non-uniform standard of University education (difficulty is in the eye of the beholder and all that).

Note!! I don't actually think the Pre-/Universisty categories should be removed.. They are aligned with the sites motivation; I'm just speculating :).
We don't have 'advanced' university levels. Just high school level (pre-university) and beyond (aka university level).
In my opinion your question about dynamical systems qualifies as beyond.
Usually I feel well qualified to answer all questions in Advanced Applied Mathematics, but in this particular case I was happy to see that Krylov pitched in.
Oh, and since Dynamical Systems is not listed anywhere, Advanced Applied Mathematics does seem to be the appropriate place for it, which is where you posted it. ;)

Oh, and the distinction is not necessarily about the difficulty level, but more about the level of required knowledge.
Some things are just not taught at high school after all.
Then again, some problems that only require high school knowledge, can still be pretty hard to figure out, regardless of advanced knowledge.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
We don't have 'advanced' university levels. Just high school level (pre-university) and beyond (aka university level).
Your question about dynamical systems definitely qualifies as beyond.
Usually I feel well qualified to answer all questions in Advanced Applied Mathematics, but in this particular case I was happy to see that Krylov pitched in.
Oh, and since Dynamical Systems is not listed anywhere, Advanced Applied Mathematics does seem to be the appropriate place for it, which is where you posted it. ;)
Thanks!

Last edited:

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi all,

I would like to note that dynamical systems is usually considered a part of the field of differential equations, so the Dynamical Systems description could be added as a tag for the Differential Equations sub-forum. Perhaps in the future when we get more users in science we can add more specialized categories like Physical Chemistry and Fluid Dynamics, but I'm happy with the ILS's proposal.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

I would like to note that dynamical systems is usually considered a part of the field of differential equations, so the Dynamical Systems description could be added as a tag for the Differential Equations sub-forum. Perhaps in the future when we get more users in science we can add more specialized categories like Physical Chemistry and Fluid Dynamics, but I'm happy with the ILS's proposal.
I like it, too. I will wait for a bit longer, and if there are no objections, I will move ahead and make these changes. Any volunteers for moving threads after I change the forums?

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Are we going to be doing this soon?

EDIT: My apologies for the rush. I'm forgetting about the Holidays and all ... :eek:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Are we going to be doing this soon?

EDIT: My apologies for the rush. I'm forgetting about the Holidays and all ... :eek:
I'm thinking soon after the new year.

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
Just be ready for a greater influx of crackpots. They can sniff out fresh meat. :D

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Just be ready for a greater influx of crackpots. They can sniff out fresh meat. :D
You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Changes are made. I don't think we need to make any thread moving happen at the University level - all I did was change the description of the Other Advanced Topics forum. But we do need to move threads from the Pre-University -> Other Topics into Pre-University -> Physics and Pre-University -> Chemistry as needed.