Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the author thinks that the book could be improved by removing unimportant sections and by providing a more thorough explanation. The book is level high, requiring the mathematical background of a student higher than what is usually assumed, and skips steps in the derivations and solved examples.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I am using this book for my intro physics series. I think it doesn't give a thorough explanation, such that after you have read it, you probably won't feel comfortable enough to tackle the ''intermediate'' difficulty problems, and certainly no chance to solve the ''challenge'' problems. They could get rid of the unimportant sections to be able to expand on ideas and give a thorough explanation is a more plain speech, rather than technical gobble-di-goo and doing a few derivations of equations, but reach into the heart and soul of physics so there is a better conceptual understanding.

Don't buy the newer editions, they are significantly more expensive for the same product basically

Last edited by a moderator:
The great point in this book is that it provides systematic methodology of solving problems. The course and everything is explained in a way that helps, at the end, to solve related problems. Its examples are relatively not easy. This book is straight, it gets directly to the point. The derivations are little compared to some other textbooks, but when provided, they are clear. This book insists on the accuracy of the provided knowledge which makes the reader avoids much of common mistakes, say for instance, the emphasis that the displacement when computing the work is of the "point of application of the force" and not necessarily of the object; however, sometimes accuracy hurts specifically when dealing with friction; in such situations modelling is very helpful rather than dealing with it at the atomic and molecular level.

The problem with this book is that its level is relatively high; it assumes the mathematical background higher than what many students really have. It also skips some steps in the derivations and solved examples considering them easy enough which is not the case in many situations.

My school uses this text, noticed it skimming through. Figured I'd post a short review.

The subjects are explained in minimal detail, while the problem sections are rather large. Often, the problems will be far too difficult for a beginner. The solution manual is almost a necessity. I don't think I prefer this text as a primary study guide, however it gets the job done. This is a good book if you're looking for supplementary problems to work.

Like similar level math and science texts, this book suffers from excessive use of color, way too many problems, way too many examples and applications, and new editions that come out way too often.

Beyond that, however, it is a great book. I have skimmed through quite a few of these books (halliday resnick, giancoli, tipler) and I can say that this is one of the best; the explanations are clear and the problems are very good, they require you to think and problem-solve. Other books tend to be very computational. Like others have said, the level is a bit high; you need to know your calculus.

This book is so atrociously bad I don't even know where to begin. No offense to people who appreciate this text but the equations are practically smashed in your face. I am looking at the rotation/angular momentum chapter (10) of the 7th ed. and there is absolutely no proof-development for formulas, the gorgeous graphics either address the topic(s) myopically or are flat-out pointless and every single problem in the book is approached on a plug-and-play formula basis. I am ashamed to claim I even own this excuse for a text.

Sorry for the harsh review but I take this subject seriously and this book seriously offends me.

Related to Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett

1. What topics are covered in "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett?

The book covers a wide range of topics in classical physics, including mechanics, fluids, waves, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, the book is designed for students with a strong mathematical background but no prior knowledge of physics. It provides a solid foundation in basic concepts and problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any practical applications included in the book?

Yes, the authors include numerous real-world examples and applications of physics principles, making the material more relevant and engaging for readers.

4. Does the book include practice problems and solutions?

Yes, the book contains a large number of practice problems with step-by-step solutions, as well as end-of-chapter review questions and exercises to reinforce understanding.

5. Is this book used in college-level physics courses?

Yes, this book is commonly used in introductory physics courses for science and engineering majors at the college level. It is also a popular reference for self-study and review.