Physics Equations for Electrical Power

In summary, Russ says that the equation that the OP is asking for is not the correct one, but that there is a discussion about how to combine Ohm's law and the electrical power equation in various ways for various purposes.
coordinators
I'm in year 11, doing Physics for GCSE and my actual ending GCSE is on Friday which Is where I finish school.

I'm 16 and in the UK, I need help with the following equations:
P = I^2 x R (why is this equation used)
- all the power equations
- How to calculate uncertainty

<< Mentor Note -- OP has edited this post to correct the equation. See Russ' quote below for the original equation that Russ is replying about >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
coordinators said:
I'm 16 and in the UK, I need help with the following equations:
V = I^2 x R (why is this equation used)
- all the power equations
- How to calculate uncertainty
That equation isn't correct, but here's a discussion (now locked) of how you can combine Ohm's law and the electrical power equation in various ways for various purposes:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/when-to-use-p-i-2r-p-vi-p-v-2-r.751591/

coordinators said:
I meant power sorry
No prob - just have a look at the link, se if it gives you what you need snd let us know if you have any follow-ups.

I'm sitting in my car waiting for my twins to finish their GCSE physics exam so this is a bit late but...

First think about _where_ the power is being dissipated.

If we are talking about the power dissipated in a resistor then I and V refer to the current and voltage through and across the resistor.

If you are talking about the power delivered by a battery then I and V apply to the battery.

In some cases you only know one variable (I or V) so you can use..

P=IV
And ohm's law
V=IR

To make either...

P=I^2R
or
P=V^2/R

Then which you use depends on which variable you know.One of my son's has just called to say the exam was "ok but challenging". How did you find it?

Related to Physics Equations for Electrical Power

1. What is the equation for calculating electrical power?

The equation for calculating electrical power is P = VI, where P represents power in watts (W), V represents voltage in volts (V), and I represents current in amperes (A).

2. How is electrical power related to energy?

Electrical power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. This means that the more power an electrical device uses, the more energy it will consume.

3. How do I calculate power if I only know voltage?

If you only know the voltage (V) and resistance (R) of an electrical circuit, you can use the equation P = V2/R to calculate power. This is known as the power formula for circuits with resistance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electrical power?

The unit of measurement for electrical power is watts (W). However, in some cases, kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (MW) may be used for larger amounts of power.

5. Can electrical power be negative?

Yes, electrical power can be negative. This can occur when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of voltage. In this case, the power would represent energy being transferred in the opposite direction.