Physics Contradictions: Examples & Explanations

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phsyics
In summary, the conversation discusses different theories and laws of physics, including the conflict between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. There is also mention of the limitations of older theories and the idea of conservation laws in physics. The main question asked is if there are any examples of things that contradict the laws of physics, excluding the beginning of the Earth.
KingNothing
Hi...I don't know a whole lot about physics but I'm getting there.

I have heard a lot of times about different things that have contradicted a few laws of physics. I don't think I've ever seen a specific example, just claims. The last one I heard was on a subatomic level. My question:

Do you know of any such things? (exclude the beginning-of-the Earth stuff)

Physics news on Phys.org
That's an awfully broad question, but I think perhaps the event you heard about "on the subatomic level" might be a reference to the famous conflict between the two leading physical models for the universe; General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Does that sound familliar?

well you see the thing is there are a lot of mathematical formulations from Newtonian physics through most of the 19th century that are only approximations based upon the degree of measurement accurayc that was attainable with the technology at the time. A perfect example is enwtons law of gravity. it is a good approxiamtion for purposes of calculation, but its not actually correct. GR is a much better approximation, but is much more difficult to calculate with, so most people use the more flawed but easier law formulated by Newton.

There is also what LURCH mentioned about the conflicts between GR and Quantum Mechanics, because the two theories describe entirely different scales, and conflict with each other when one is applied to the others realm.

the only real "laws" of physics that have never been contradicted at all are the laws of conservation once conservation of energy and mass are combined (since one can be changed into the other through fusion/ fission).

Related to Physics Contradictions: Examples & Explanations

1. What is a physics contradiction?

A physics contradiction is a situation where two or more physical laws or principles seem to contradict each other. This can happen when one theory or principle predicts one outcome, while another predicts a different outcome for the same scenario.

2. Can you give an example of a physics contradiction?

One example of a physics contradiction is the wave-particle duality of light. According to the wave theory of light, light behaves as a wave, while according to the particle theory, it behaves as a stream of particles. This seems to contradict each other, but both theories have been proven to be true in different experiments.

3. How are physics contradictions resolved?

Physics contradictions are often resolved by developing new theories or models that can explain both seemingly contradicting principles. This is often achieved through experimentation and empirical evidence to support the new theory.

4. Are physics contradictions common?

Physics contradictions are not uncommon, especially in the field of quantum mechanics. As our understanding of the physical world continues to evolve, we often encounter new phenomena that challenge our existing theories and principles, leading to contradictions that need to be resolved.

5. Why are physics contradictions important?

Physics contradictions are important because they drive scientific progress and lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the physical world. They also challenge our current beliefs and theories, forcing us to think critically and innovate in order to resolve these contradictions.