Physics/Comp Sci major unsure of what to do

• Programs
  • Thread starter aruen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, a degree in Physics or Computer Science opens up various career options in fields such as software development, data analysis, engineering, research, and teaching. Whether to pursue a graduate degree or enter the workforce after obtaining an undergraduate degree depends on personal goals and interests. Some universities offer a combined degree program for both subjects, but if not, it is important to choose a major based on individual passions. Success in these fields requires not only technical skills but also strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, as well as a passion for learning and staying updated on new technologies. There are many resources available, such as career fairs, networking events, online job boards, and career counseling services, to help explore career options in Physics and
aruen
I've posted here before, but I don't remember my account because it's been a while. Anyway, I am currently a student at USC (University of Southern California, not South Carolina) and am finishing up my first semester with between a 3.68 and 3.75 GPA (unsure if I have an A or A- in one of my classes). I originally came into USC as an Economics major, so this past semester I've done two GE classes, Introduction to Macroeconomics, and Calculus 1. However, I decided in October to switch to USC's dual major program, Computer Science/Physics.

Next semester I'm planning on taking Physics Honors I, Calculus II, a GE, and Computer Science 101. It's a pretty intense program, unlike BA Economics, and I'm somewhat worried, especially concerning the math. Math has never been my strongest subject (even though I got 760 in Math on the SAT, I was in regular math throughout high school + AP Statistics). This past semester I received a B+ in my math class, Calculus I, which was somewhat surprising as I had used MIT OpenCourseWare over the summer to learn I and II.

I know many of you will say Physics is so math based that if you don't love math, you shouldn't do it. But I really do like math, especially more abstract concepts; it just doesn't come naturally to me. I'm worried because I have to take Calculus II, III, Linear Algebra, Math for Physics and Engineering I and II, and then an elective (which will either be Intro to Topology or Numerical Analysis).

Moreover, though I plan to do research and try to get a high GPA, I'm concerned about graduate programs. Even though I'm only a freshman so I have a pretty long way to go (especially since I have only done Calc + AP Physics), USC is not very renown for its physics program (around #50 in the nation).

tl;dr second semester freshman at USC can't make up his mind, Econ to Physics/Comp Sci transfer, worried about grades, school reputation, and grad school

So, if you've made it this long (and I'm sorry it's so long) I have a few questions:
1) Is undergraduate reputation really a huge deal for grad school acceptances? I'm hoping but definitely not saying I'm sure of a GPA over 3.5. I'm hoping to go into either condensed matter or theoretical (again with the math part) physics.
2) When should I start actively doing research? I'm going to try by the end of the freshman year, but still.
3) Any suggestions on how to improve my math learning? I was in a class where almost everyone had taken Calc I before, but I still did relatively poorly (86 on my first midterm, 68 on my second [he gave me 0/20 on a problem I got the right answer on], and 89 on my final).
4) Is the comp sci part a good idea? I'm going to try and become a quant on Wall Street after a PhD, or if physics doesn't find me a job I'll try and work as a programmer.
5) Anyone here a USC Physics grad?

Thanks! ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org

I can definitely relate to your concerns about grades, school reputation, and graduate school. It's great to see that you are taking your education seriously and are actively seeking advice and guidance. I'll do my best to address your questions and provide some suggestions based on my experience.

1) Undergraduate reputation is certainly a factor that graduate schools consider, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also look at your coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and other qualifications. While a higher ranked school may give you an advantage, it is not the only determining factor. Focus on excelling in your courses, gaining research experience, and building strong relationships with your professors.

2) It's great that you are already thinking about research as a freshman. I would suggest starting to look for research opportunities early on in your second year. Talk to your professors and express your interest in their research. You can also look for research programs or internships that may be available to undergraduates. This will not only give you valuable experience, but it will also help you determine if research is something you want to pursue in the future.

3) Improving your math learning may take some trial and error. It's great that you are already using online resources like MIT OpenCourseWare to supplement your learning. I would also recommend seeking help from your professors or peers, joining a study group, and practicing regularly. Don't be discouraged by a poor grade - use it as motivation to improve and seek extra help if needed.

4) The computer science aspect of your dual major can definitely be beneficial, especially if you are interested in becoming a quant or working as a programmer. It will also give you a unique skill set that may set you apart from other physics majors. However, make sure to stay focused on your physics coursework and don't let the computer science courses distract you from your main goal.

5) I am not a USC Physics grad, but I would suggest reaching out to alumni or current students in the program for their perspective and advice. They may be able to give you more specific insights about the program and any tips for success.

Overall, my advice would be to stay focused on your goals and work hard in your courses. Don't be afraid to seek help when needed and take advantage of research opportunities. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to Physics/Comp Sci major unsure of what to do

What can I do with a degree in Physics or Computer Science?

There are many career options available for those with a degree in Physics or Computer Science. Some common career paths include software development, data analysis, engineering, research, and teaching. You could also work in industries such as healthcare, finance, or technology.

Should I pursue a graduate degree or enter the workforce after obtaining my undergraduate degree?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. If you have a specific career path in mind that requires a graduate degree, then pursuing one may be beneficial. However, if you are unsure of your career goals, gaining work experience in your field may help you make a more informed decision.

Which major should I choose if I am interested in both Physics and Computer Science?

Some universities offer a combined degree program in Physics and Computer Science, which would allow you to study both subjects in depth. If this is not an option, consider which subject you are more passionate about and choose that as your major. You can always take courses in the other subject as electives or pursue a minor.

What skills do I need to be successful in a Physics or Computer Science career?

In addition to technical skills in programming, data analysis, and mathematical reasoning, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for success in both Physics and Computer Science careers. Additionally, having a passion for learning and staying updated on new technologies is crucial in these rapidly evolving fields.

Are there any resources available to help me explore career options in Physics and Computer Science?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you explore career options in these fields. Some helpful resources include career fairs, networking events, online job boards, and career counseling services provided by your university. You can also reach out to professionals currently working in your desired field for informational interviews and advice.