Physics Challenges: Similar to Math Ones?

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of having monthly physics challenge threads, with a reward for those interested. @wrobel expressed interest in creating such threads and mentioned having several interesting problems in classical mechanics. It was suggested that @fresh_42 could moderate the threads.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
What about Physics Challenges similar to Math Ones? Sorry if it is inappropriate place for this topic

Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
What about Physics Challenges similar to Math Ones? Sorry if it is inappropriate place for this topic
Did you prepare an answer to the inevitable question?

I have thought about physical questions within the math challenge and ran into the following problems:
  • classical mechanics etc.: all trivial calculations, get the formula and plug in the values
  • vector calculus in all variations: most examples are spheres, some paraboloids, and at most a Möbius strip
  • an interesting question about Noether remained untouched for long
  • the remaining rest are some index acrobatics and functional analysis
I couldn't found good questions, except those which were asking to detect the physical laws of an experiment. However, an answer to that kind of question would be a copy and paste from the according Wikipedia page, or alternatively lead to endless discussions of why's and why not's.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Just as an example. There is a perfectly rough horizontal table. This table is pretty wide (actually it is a plane) and it rotates about some vertical axis. Angular velocity is a given constant:##\Omega\ne 0##. Somebody throws a homogeneous ball on the table. The ball has a mass ##m## and a radius ##r##. The ball begins to roll on the table without slipping.1) Prove that the center of the ball describes a circle relative to the lab frame;

2) Having initial conditions, find the radius of this circle and the distance between the center of the circle and table's rotation axis

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and PeroK
We would LOVE to have someone volunteer to create monthly physics challenge threads. @fresh_42 goes above and beyond, but it would be great to have a thread with say 3 problems. Anyone?

Likes GiriBang
There is a reward for those who are interested: Pose questions you're not familiar with at first glance.

Thus you can learn a lot on the way. E.g. I'm currently preparing questions for upcoming threads. I had an easy question, but on the way to find a proof I walked through several theorems and their proofs in order to find a solution. Ok, I discarded some attempts, and at the end I found an argument without all those theorems. However, I learned some interesting stuff and one of the proofs can be used for another question.

Likes berkeman
@wrobel Since you already have an idea for what sort of problems would be good, perhaps you'd like to start such a thread? I'd guess that it would receive at least as much traffic as the math challenge threads, which are already pretty popular.

Likes Klystron
Greg Bernhardt said:
We would LOVE to have someone volunteer to create monthly physics challenge threads. @fresh_42 goes above and beyond, but it would be great to have a thread with say 3 problems. Anyone?
I've got a few problems that might be interesting. I could do one a month for a year or so.

Likes Klystron and etotheipi
Infrared said:
@wrobel Since you already have an idea for what sort of problems would be good, perhaps you'd like to start such a thread? I'd guess that it would receive at least as much traffic as the math challenge threads, which are already pretty popular.
I am a mathematician and in physics I am expert in classical mechanics only. I can propose several problems in classical mechanics. One of them is above.
As for opening such threads it is up to Administrators decisions I guess

Last edited:
Okay, I'll do that later today. Working on an Insight today ...

• Love
Likes hutchphd, etotheipi, fresh_42 and 1 other person

Related to Physics Challenges: Similar to Math Ones?

1. What are some common examples of physics challenges that are similar to math problems?

Some examples of physics challenges that are similar to math problems include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the acceleration of an object, and solving problems involving forces and motion.

2. How can solving physics challenges improve my math skills?

Solving physics challenges requires the use of mathematical equations and formulas, which can help improve your understanding and application of math concepts. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving physics challenges?

Yes, some useful strategies for solving physics challenges include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using diagrams and visual aids, and checking your work for accuracy and reasonableness.

4. Can physics challenges be solved without using math?

While some physics concepts can be understood without using math, solving physics challenges usually requires the use of mathematical equations and formulas. However, there may be alternative methods or approximations that can be used in certain situations.

5. How can I prepare for physics challenges that are similar to math problems?

To prepare for physics challenges, it is important to have a strong foundation in math concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of physics problems and familiarize yourself with common formulas and equations.