Physics B.S. going for Electrical Engineering M.S Experiences?

In summary, a 21-year-old with a Physics B.S. degree is heading into an EE M.S. program focused on photonics and opto-electronics. Despite having no courses to make up, they are apprehensive about jumping straight into engineering with no engineering academic background. However, they have taken relevant physics classes and have experience in research related to optics and electronics. They are curious if anyone has successfully transitioned from a Physics B.S. to an EE M.S. program, particularly with a focus on photonics and opto/micro/nano electronics. They also wonder if a physics background would be beneficial in this field and mention that they are comfortable with programming and circuits. Others respond that they or people they know have successfully moved
HordesOfKailas
Hi all. So I've stalked the forum for the past few months or so and read more threads than I can count. Figured it was time to join up and post a bit. The title basically says everything I want to ask, but let me go into a bit more detail.

I'm 21 and I graduated with a Physics B.S. this Spring and am heading straight into an EE M.S. program where I'll focus on photonics and opto-electronics. I lucked out hard and, because of a bunch of factors, don't have any courses to make up. Despite that, I'm apprehensive about what I'll be up against just jumping straight into engineering with virtually no "applicable" engineering academic background. I should probably mention that I'm taking solid state electronics, E&M in electronics, and a modern optics class (offered by the physics department), so my first semester is basically just physics classes as far as I can tell. My subsequent semesters (providing class offerings are favorable) are looking to be very similar with classes on lasers, semiconductor devices, photonics, quantum in EE, etc.

Now a bit about me. I've done a ton of research focusing on satellite development and atmospheric physics. Most of my contributions were in the form of optics development, algorithms, and electronics testing, so it's definitely at least a little relevant. That said, I can program quite well in a handful of languages and am comfortable enough with circuits (I did very well in the electronics class I took and can rewire guitars, tinker with computers, etc.) to think that EE is a good fit for me. Not only that, but given my focus, I would imagine that a physics background might be especially helpful. Although, that could just be dismissed as naive, hopeful thinking. Either way, I'd like to hear thoughts.

Essentially, has anyone (or anyone you know) gone from a B.S. in physics to a Master's program in EE and been successful? As a further question, has anyone done this while focusing on photonics and opto/micro/nano electronics? In my reading I have seen this specific question asked, but I wanted to get my own personal spin on it. Sorry if I rambled on too much, but if you made it this far, I thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

HordesOfKailas said:
Hi all. So I've stalked the forum for the past few months or so and read more threads than I can count. Figured it was time to join up and post a bit. The title basically says everything I want to ask, but let me go into a bit more detail.

I'm 21 and I graduated with a Physics B.S. this Spring and am heading straight into an EE M.S. program where I'll focus on photonics and opto-electronics. I lucked out hard and, because of a bunch of factors, don't have any courses to make up. Despite that, I'm apprehensive about what I'll be up against just jumping straight into engineering with virtually no "applicable" engineering academic background. I should probably mention that I'm taking solid state electronics, E&M in electronics, and a modern optics class (offered by the physics department), so my first semester is basically just physics classes as far as I can tell. My subsequent semesters (providing class offerings are favorable) are looking to be very similar with classes on lasers, semiconductor devices, photonics, quantum in EE, etc.

Now a bit about me. I've done a ton of research focusing on satellite development and atmospheric physics. Most of my contributions were in the form of optics development, algorithms, and electronics testing, so it's definitely at least a little relevant. That said, I can program quite well in a handful of languages and am comfortable enough with circuits (I did very well in the electronics class I took and can rewire guitars, tinker with computers, etc.) to think that EE is a good fit for me. Not only that, but given my focus, I would imagine that a physics background might be especially helpful. Although, that could just be dismissed as naive, hopeful thinking. Either way, I'd like to hear thoughts.

Essentially, has anyone (or anyone you know) gone from a B.S. in physics to a Master's program in EE and been successful? As a further question, has anyone done this while focusing on photonics and opto/micro/nano electronics? In my reading I have seen this specific question asked, but I wanted to get my own personal spin on it. Sorry if I rambled on too much, but if you made it this far, I thank you.

Yes, people move from physics to all sorts of master degrees and are successful. I took EE classes with someone who did her undergrad in math (with a minor in physics), did her masters in EE and now works for Intel. Friends of friends went from physics undergrad to nuclear engineering masters and found work for the navy. Depending on the field of engineering you're going into, a physics background can definitely be more useful than an engineering one.

Hello - Yes I actually did this and it was not too bad. You might find yourself trying to catch up in certain areas depending on what area of EE you are looking at going into. If you go into microtechnology and nanoscience, you will undoubtably find a high degree of crossover between your EE work and your physics B.S. In a sense, everything is physics (at least that is my religion). Further, once a physicist always a physicist - you may find it hard to get into an "engineering" mentality where performance of a device is somehow more interesting than the physics of the device.

Anyways, EE is a fascinating topic, and if you are like me ... you may find that it draws you back into physics with a very much widened understanding. For example, in your EM courses you do not learn about how to design filters or amplifiers, yet undoubtably in most moden physics experiments you will find many filters and amplifiers. It is nice to see this additional layer of physics which enables us to probe deeper into the nature of Nature.

As a fellow scientist, I can definitely relate to your situation. First of all, congratulations on your graduation and acceptance into the EE M.S. program! It takes a lot of hard work and determination to achieve that, so you should be proud of yourself.

To answer your question, yes, I have personally known someone who went from a B.S. in physics to an M.S. in EE and was successful. This person was also focused on photonics and opto-electronics, just like you. From what I observed, their background in physics actually gave them an advantage in understanding the theoretical concepts behind EE and its applications in photonics. They were able to grasp the material quickly and excel in their coursework.

However, I do want to caution you that there may be a learning curve when it comes to the practical aspects of EE, such as circuit design and programming. But from what you've mentioned, it seems like you already have some experience in these areas, so I don't see that being a major issue for you.

One piece of advice I would give is to make sure you communicate with your professors and classmates if you ever feel like you're struggling or need extra help. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out resources to supplement your learning. Also, don't underestimate the value of your physics background. It may not seem like it now, but I'm sure it will come in handy during your studies and in your future career.

Overall, I believe you have a good foundation to succeed in your EE M.S. program. Just stay dedicated, keep an open mind, and don't be afraid to seek help when needed. Best of luck to you!

Related to Physics B.S. going for Electrical Engineering M.S Experiences?

1. What made you decide to pursue a Master's in Electrical Engineering after getting a Bachelor's in Physics?

There are many reasons why I decided to pursue a Master's in Electrical Engineering after my Bachelor's in Physics. One of the main reasons is that I have always been interested in the practical applications of physics and wanted to gain more hands-on experience in the field of engineering. Additionally, I saw the potential for growth and advancement in the field of electrical engineering and wanted to challenge myself with new concepts and technologies.

2. How does your background in Physics help you in your Master's in Electrical Engineering?

My background in Physics has been extremely beneficial in my Master's in Electrical Engineering. The strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking that I gained from my Physics degree has helped me to better understand and solve complex engineering problems. Additionally, my understanding of fundamental principles in physics has allowed me to grasp concepts in electrical engineering more easily.

3. What challenges did you face transitioning from a Physics Bachelor's to an Electrical Engineering Master's?

The transition from a Physics Bachelor's to an Electrical Engineering Master's was definitely challenging. One of the main challenges was learning new programming languages and software programs used in engineering, as they were different from what I had learned in my Physics courses. I also had to adjust to a more hands-on and practical approach to learning, as opposed to the theoretical focus of my Physics degree.

4. What advice would you give to someone considering a similar path from Physics to Electrical Engineering?

My advice would be to not be afraid of the challenges and to be open to learning new concepts and technologies. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and basic physics principles before starting the Master's program. Additionally, seeking out internships or research opportunities in engineering during your undergraduate studies can provide valuable experience and help with the transition to a Master's in Electrical Engineering.

5. What are your career goals after completing your Master's in Electrical Engineering?

After completing my Master's in Electrical Engineering, my career goal is to work in the field of renewable energy, specifically in the development of sustainable and efficient power systems. I am also interested in pursuing further education and research opportunities in this field, with the ultimate goal of contributing to the advancement of clean and sustainable energy solutions.