Physics and Fluids: Accelerating Particles in a Fluid

In summary: W=ma+kV In summary, the particle experiences a drag force proportional to speed and it takes a time proportional to its speed to accelerate to 95% of its terminal velocity.
allezfou

Homework Statement

Very small particles moving in fluids are known to experience a drag force proportional to speed. Consider a particle of net weight W dropped in a fluid. The particle experiences a drag force, Fd = kV, where V is the particle speed. Determine the time required for the particle to accelerate from rest to 95% of its terminal velocity, Vt, in terms of k, W, and g.

Homework Equations

Newtons Second Law of motion, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to sum forces, etc. but didn't really get anywhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the particle?

i wrote the question verbatim, so i will assume a drag force (and a force of flowing fluid?)
i can write the answer if it helps, but it's useless without the method.

allezfou said:
i wrote the question verbatim, so i will assume a drag force
Right. An expression for that is given.
(and a force of flowing fluid?)
That's the drag force.

What other force, also given, acts on the particle?

there is a force on the particle moving it forward and the drag force

allezfou said:
there is a force on the particle moving it forward
Yes. What is that force?

i don't know.

allezfou said:
i don't know.
Hint: It's one of the variables that your answer must be expressed in terms of. :wink:

gravity.

allezfou said:
gravity.
Of course! Now write an equation using Newton's 2nd law.

so am i assuming a vertical pipe with fluid in it?

kV-mg=ma. we don't want it in terms of acceleration so we use a=dV/dt.

allezfou said:
so am i assuming a vertical pipe with fluid in it?
It's just a particle placed in some fluid and allowed to fall.
kV-mg=ma. we don't want it in terms of acceleration so we use a=dV/dt.
Good. I would switch the signs around, so that "down" is positive (since you know it's going to fall down).

mg-kV=m dV/dt. the net weight is W, which is also mg.
W-kV=m dV/dt

allezfou said:
mg-kV=m dV/dt. the net weight is W, which is also mg.
W-kV=m dV/dt
Good. Now just rearrange and integrate.

Related to Physics and Fluids: Accelerating Particles in a Fluid

1. What is the principle behind accelerating particles in a fluid?

The principle behind accelerating particles in a fluid is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In a fluid, the particles experience resistance or drag, which can be overcome by applying a force, resulting in acceleration.

2. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect the acceleration of particles?

The viscosity of a fluid plays a crucial role in the acceleration of particles. Higher viscosity fluids offer more resistance to the movement of particles, resulting in slower acceleration. On the other hand, lower viscosity fluids allow for easier movement and faster acceleration of particles.

3. What is the relationship between fluid density and particle acceleration?

The density of a fluid is directly related to the acceleration of particles in that fluid. A higher density fluid will offer more resistance to the movement of particles, resulting in slower acceleration. Conversely, a lower density fluid will allow for easier movement and faster acceleration of particles.

4. Can accelerating particles in a fluid lead to turbulence?

Yes, accelerating particles in a fluid can lead to turbulence. When a fluid is accelerated, it can create eddies and vortices, resulting in chaotic and irregular flow patterns. This phenomenon is known as turbulence and can be observed in various natural and man-made processes, such as in air and water currents.

5. What is the significance of understanding the acceleration of particles in a fluid?

Understanding the acceleration of particles in a fluid is essential in many scientific and engineering applications. It can help predict the behavior and movement of fluids, such as in weather patterns, ocean currents, and air flow. It is also crucial in designing and optimizing various technologies, such as aircraft, rockets, and pumps, that rely on fluid dynamics for their operation.